Board-certified pediatricians, pediatric hospitalists, pediatric specialists, neonatologists and advanced practice providers from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) work alongside staff at Virtua Mount Holly Hospital to provide exceptional care to babies, children and teens in South Jersey.
Care is provided as part of an ongoing alliance between CHOP and Virtua Health; drawing the best from both groups of clinicians – world-class pediatric experts from CHOP and dedicated, local staff who have built long-term relationships with families.
CHOP pediatric services available at Virtua Mount Holly Hospital include:
- Pediatric inpatient care and monitoring by experienced CHOP pediatric hospitalists
- 24/7 on-site access to pediatric emergency services
- Inpatient newborn care and NICU
- Pediatric specialty consultation, testing and imaging
The collaboration between CHOP and Virtua Mount Holly Hospital brings the best of academic medicine – cutting-edge research, standardized clinical pathways that ensure consistency of care, and innovative quality improvement projects – close to home for families in South Jersey. Together, we elevate the care your child has access to, leading to improved outcomes and a better quality of life for your family
Inpatient pediatric care
CHOP provides a team of pediatric hospitalists on-site 24/7 to care for babies, children and adolescents who are admitted to the pediatric inpatient unit at Virtua Mount Holly Hospital. Pediatric hospitalists – all of whom are board certified in pediatrics by the American Board of Pediatrics and certified in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) – are attending physicians who specialize in the care of hospitalized infants, children and teens.
Children may require hospitalization for a wide range of illnesses and injuries, from respiratory and digestive issues to bone, joint or nerve injuries. Together, our teams are equipped to provide the best possible care for your child, close to home. In the event your child has a more serious issue that requires highly specialized care, transport to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia can be arranged in partnership with community physicians.
A pediatric hospitalist is always on-site, providing:
- Around-the-clock evaluation and treatment for your child, and the ability to respond quickly to any emergencies that arise
- Close coordination with pediatric specialists and your child’s primary care physician
- Easy access to parents and families to answer questions and discuss your child’s illness with you
- Consultation in the emergency room as requested, 24/7
Depending on your child’s length of stay in the hospital, more than one member of the CHOP team may be involved in their care. Physicians will coordinate with each other on daily rounds, share information with you and provide a consistent approach to your child’s care and treatment. Once your child is well enough to leave the hospital, this team will coordinate with your child’s pediatrician, specialist or family physician to ensure ongoing care.
Emergency care for kids
CHOP and Virtua Mount Holly Hospital staff understand that emergency treatment and admission to the hospital can be frightening for children and parents. When your child needs to go to the Emergency Department (ED), you want to know they’ll receive outstanding, timely care delivered by a skilled clinical team. CHOP providers are available 24/7 in the Virtua Mount Holly Hospital ED to provide evaluation and treatment.
No matter what emergency care your child needs, our team will work together to ensure the best care for your child and support for your family. We encourage parents to communicate openly with staff, be involved in your child’s care and tell us how we can best meet your physical and emotional needs.
Newborn & NICU care
Board-certified neonatologists and neonatal nurse practitioners from CHOP provide high-quality, specialized newborn and neonatal intensive care to babies in the newborn nursery and NICU at Virtua Mount Holly Hospital.
Our team works closely with families and primary care physicians to ensure every newborn receives the care they need, backed by the resources of CHOP – a world leader in neonatal medicine – and the experience, comfort and convenience provided at a community hospital.
Some of the babies born here each year are born prematurely, experience respiratory problems at birth, or require additional treatment or observation due to other health complications.
For these most vulnerable patients, CHOP clinicians provide 24/7 care and services to babies in the NICU at Virtua Mount Holly Hospital, including:
- Comprehensive respiratory and feeding support
- Specialty and multidisciplinary evaluations
- Advanced testing and imaging
- Blood transfusions
- Referrals to specialists and follow up for growth and neurodevelopmental issues as needed
Pediatric specialty consultations
Select pediatric specialty services from CHOP are also available as part of our relationship with Virtua Mount Holly Hospital, including:
- Pediatric cardiology services, consultation and evaluation of cardiac testing (such as echocardiography and electrocardiogram)
- EEG testing and advanced neuromonitoring capabilities to assess brain function
- Pediatric radiology services, providing pediatric expertise in evaluating specialized diagnostic studies including neonatal magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Pediatric ophthalmology services catering to the unique retinal care needs of newborns
Additional CHOP pediatric specialists are available nearby at CHOP Specialty Care, Virtua.
Our team of board-certified hospitalists, neonatologists, pediatric specialists and advanced practice providers offer comprehensive and individualized care to babies, children and teens at Virtua Mount Holly Hospital.
Pediatric health & wellness resources
Children change as they grow – and we’re here for you at every age and stage of your child’s development – from infancy to teen. Get expert advice to keep your child safe and healthy.