Online Remote Consultation Program
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia specialists in select specialties now offer online remote consultations. This program allows our pediatric specialists to review a patient's medical records and provide a consultation report that answers specific questions based on the information provided.
The consultation report is provided to you and the patient’s treating physician as additional information to supplement clinical decision making. This is done remotely based on transmission of your medical information to CHOP and does not require you to come to CHOP. A medical examination of the patient will not be conducted by CHOP providers.
How the remote consultation program works
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia online remote consultation program is facilitated by PinnacleCare. If you choose to enroll, you will enter the PinnacleCare electronic platform and PinnacleCare will reach out to you. You will need to give PinnacleCare the names and contact information of the patient’s healthcare providers. You will be requested to sign a series of forms authorizing the release of health information and authorizing and agreeing to a remote consultation and CHOP and PinnacleCare terms
This program is not generally covered by insurance. You should check with your plan. There is a fee that you will be required to pay. Forms and the fee ($800) will be collected by PinnacleCare. After all forms are signed and payment is made, PinnacleCare will contact the healthcare providers that you named to request the patient’s medical records. During this process, PinnacleCare will be available to answer your questions about the process.
PinnacleCare will let the patient’s treating physician know that your request for a remote consultation has been made when it requests medical records. The remote consultation report completed by a CHOP specialist will be provided to both the patient’s treating physician and you.
The intent of the report is to provide supplemental information and promote discussion between you/the patient and the treating physician regarding the patient’s condition and treatment planning. The report will answer your questions and include recommendations and considerations for the treating physician which may include treatment recommendations, available medications, clinical studies, and/or literature based on review of the medical records that were available to CHOP.
The patient’s health information will be maintained and stored in the PinnacleCare electronic information system. It will not be obtained or maintained by CHOP.
The patient must meet the following criteria in order to receive a remote consultation.
- AGE - The patient must be younger than 21* (*exceptions can be made for patients 21-24 years of age for certain surgical conditions on a case by case basis)
- STATE - The patient must reside in: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, D.C., Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, or Washington.
- EXCLUDED - PA, NJ and DE COUNTIES - If the patient resides in Pennsylvania (PA), New Jersey (NJ) or Delaware (DE), they must NOT reside in one of these counties:
- PA: Berks, Bucks, Delaware, Chester, Lancaster, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton, and Philadelphia
- NJ: Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, Salem, and Somerset
- DE: New Castle
In person or telemedicine second opinions are available to patients who live in these counties.
- RELATIONSHIP - Only a parent, healthcare power of attorney, legal guardian or other lawful representative may enroll persons under 18 or persons over 18 who do not have legal authority to consent on their own behalf.
- SPECIALTY - The patient must be seeking a remote consultation from one of these specialties: Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, General Thoracic and Fetal Surgery, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Oncology, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and Urology.
In person or telemedicine second opinions are available in other specialties.
Does the patient meet ALL of these eligibility criteria? If so and you wish to continue, click ‘Yes’ below and you will enter the PinnacleCare system. You will be directed to a series of forms to acknowledge the information provided describing the service and agree to the terms. PinnacleCare will reach out to you and provide assistance.