Lesson 1: Development of Disease
The steps of the infection process are explored by examining the relationship between disease and the immune system. Pop-up glossaries and drag and drop diagrams are used to practice the steps of infection. Students choose a disease to research, then write a simulated blog post or pop science magazine article and create a presentation about the development of that disease. Students read a passage: The Eternal Arms Race: The Constant Battle Between Pathogens and the Immune System.
Time: Two to three 45 minute sessions
- How do antigens and the immune system affect each other’s evolution?
- What are key steps in the process of the development of infection and disease?
Here you'll find your lesson plan and a quick overview of the lesson content, activities and recommended prerequisites.
- Lesson Plan
- Prep Steps (PPT)
- Prep Steps (PDF)
- The Eternal Arms Race: The Constant Battle between Pathogens and the Immune System (reading passage)
- How Does Hepatitis B Combat the Immune System? (video animation)
- A Virus Attacks a Cell (video animation)
This student worksheet can be distributed to your students digitally or on paper.