Applying to the Pediatrics Residency Program
Resident applicants are selected through the National Resident Matching Program. The first-year residency program at Children's Hospital begins during the third week of June. The second- and third-year programs begin on July 1. If you need special information or further assistance please call 215-590-1220.
- You must be a graduate of a United States or Canadian medical school or you must have completed one year of formal, post-graduate training in a U.S. hospital.
- You must have passed USMLE or COMLEX Part I. We require that you have taken and passed Step II before the start of training.
Tobacco-free hiring policy
To help preserve and improve the health of its patients, their families and its employees, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia implemented a tobacco-free hiring policy. This policy applies to all candidates for employment (other than those with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey) for all positions, including those covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Job applicants who apply after July 1, 2014 will be expected to sign an attestation stating they’ve been free of nicotine or tobacco products in any form for the prior thirty (30) days. They will also undergo a nicotine test as a part of the Occupational Health pre-placement drug screen administered after the offer of employment has been accepted but before the first day of hire.
Exemptions: Attending physicians (excluding CHOP physicians in the Care Network), psychologists, principal investigators and/or Penn-based faculty are exempt from this process to better align with our colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine.
How to apply
- Apply using the ERAS System
- Deadline is Dec. 1
- We will review an application once we receive the ERAS application form, personal statement, medical school transcript and USMLE or COMLEX scores. We engage in holistic review of applications on a rolling basis.
- We do not accept Universal Application for Residency
- Letters of recommendation:
- We require a minimum of three letters of recommendation.
- We will review and consider any letter of recommendation that comes to us through ERAS.
- We prefer letters from physicians who know you well and are in a position to comment on your skills, abilities, accomplishments and suitability for a residency position. We do not require a letter from the Chair of Pediatrics at your school.
- Considerations in the setting of COVID-19: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, CHOP will be conducting all interviews virtually during the 2020-2021 application cycle. Interview invitations will be sent out via ERAS. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.