Applying to the Pediatrics Residency Program
Resident applicants are selected through the National Resident Matching Program. The first-year residency program at Children's Hospital begins during the third week of June. The second- and third-year programs begin on July 1. If you need special information or further assistance please call 215-590-1220.
- You must be a graduate of a United States or Canadian medical school or you must have completed one year of formal, post-graduate training in a U.S. hospital.
- You must have passed USMLE or COMLEX Part I. We require that you have taken and passed Step II before the start of training.
To carry out its mission, it is of critical importance for the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) to keep our patients, families and workforce safe and healthy and to support the health of our global community. In keeping with this, CHOP has mandated all workforce members (including trainees) on site at any CHOP location for any portion of their time be vaccinated for COVID-19. This mandate also applies to workforce members or trainees performing work for CHOP at non-CHOP locations. The CHOP COVID-19 vaccine mandate is in alignment with applicable local, state and federal mandates. CHOP also requires all workforce members and trainees who work in patient care buildings or who provide patient care to receive an annual influenza vaccine. Employees may request exemption consideration for CHOP vaccine requirements for valid religious and medical reasons. In addition, candidates other than those in positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, must attest to not using tobacco products.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected category. CHOP is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor seeking priority referrals for protected veterans.
How to apply
- Apply using the ERAS System
- Deadline is Dec. 1
- We will review an application once we receive the ERAS application form, personal statement, medical school transcript and USMLE or COMLEX scores. We engage in holistic review of applications on a rolling basis.
- We do not accept Universal Application for Residency
- Letters of recommendation:
- We require a minimum of three letters of recommendation.
- We will review and consider any letter of recommendation that comes to us through ERAS.
- We prefer letters from physicians who know you well and are in a position to comment on your skills, abilities, accomplishments and suitability for a residency position. We do not require a letter from the Chair of Pediatrics at your school.
- Considerations in the setting of COVID-19: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, CHOP will be conducting all interviews virtually during the 2021-2022 application cycle. Interview invitations will be sent out via ERAS. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.