Food and Nutrition Education
There is no one specific diet for children with diabetes. While they do require a balance of insulin and carbohydrates in the diet, your child can and should eat a variety of foods to promote growth and health. To help with meal planning, we encourage children with diabetes to see a dietitian every year.
What our dietitians can do for you
- Help you identify foods that have carbohydrates
- Help you to understand food labels
- Help you create a plan for healthy meals and snacks
- Help you match food and insulin
- Help you to plan for parties, holidays and events that involve food
- Help you plan for exercise
- Provide education on gluten free or heart healthy meal plans
- Group classes on matching insulin and carbohydrates
- Group classes on heart healthy eating
- Individualized counseling sessions
- Resources for further information
Carbohydrate Counting and Diabetes Basal/Bolus Regimen [PDF]
This presentation will teach you about counting carbohydrates, reading food labels, and managing snacks and meal plans for children with diabetes.