Phlebotomy Services are committed to providing excellence in patient care, in partnership with other CHOP departments, by providing quality, timeliness and distinction in patient satisfaction. We treat everyone we serve with compassion and kindness. Furthermore, we support research, education and public service programs that enrich the quality of life.
The phlebotomy staff is composed of carefully trained individuals with extensive experience drawing blood from children of all ages, including infants and children with multiple medical needs whose veins may be “difficult.” The staff strives to obtain specimens with the minimum discomfort and anxiety for the patient and family, and with the minimum volume of blood taken to perform the necessary tests.
Critical aspects of the quality of phlebotomy services are monitored carefully. These include accuracy in specimen labeling, accuracy in test ordering, and specimen integrity. Important aspects of customer service are also monitored, such as waiting time at outpatient stations.
Inpatient phlebotomy rounds
Teams of phlebotomists make 4 scheduled rounds each day to collect blood samples for ordered tests for all inpatient locations, including intensive care. Teams consist of 12 phlebotomists for the morning rounds starting at 4 a.m. on weekdays and 6 a.m. on weekends, 4 phlebotomists for rounds starting at 11 a.m, and 4 phlebotomists for the round starting at 3 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Outpatient blood draw stations
- We do not collect specimens for direct submission to Quest or LabCorp.
- If you would like to have your child collected by CHOP Phlebotomy and you have Quest or LabCorp as your preferred lab, the Registration team can create a projected out-of-pocket cost analysis for testing done at CHOP versus your preferred lab.
1st Floor Buerger Building
- Seven Outpatient Phlebotomy Chairs
- One Research Phlebotomy Chair
- Oral glucose tolerance testing available
- Monday – Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 3 p.m.
3rd Floor Buerger Building
- Five phlebotomy chairs
- Supports Oncology and Hematology
- Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
3550 Market Street
- Two phlebotomy chairs
- Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Accredited as part of comprehensive Cystic Fibrosis Center
- Gold Standard method - Pilocarpine iontophoresis
- Dedicated chloride free facility and trained personnel
- Collections analyzed daily on site for rapid results
- Forty years of experience with this test
- Almost 1,000 tests performed per year
3rd Floor Main Building
By appointment only
- To schedule an appointment use self-service scheduling through MyCHOP or call our Client Services team at 215-590-2277
2 sweat collection rooms
- Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Oral Glucose tolerance test
Available on a limited basis for Endocrinology patients.
Specimen Collection Procedures
We perform the following specimen collection procedures:
- Confirmation and documentation of fasting status
- Timed specimens can usually be accommodated
- Capillary blood collection
- Heel sticks limited to infants
- Finger pricks
- Urine specimens – clean catch, not by catheter
- Sweat tests
- Specimen collection for outside laboratories
- Specimen collection for approved research protocols.
Services that we do not provide
- Accessing or drawing from ports, indwelling catheters or lines, PICC lines, dialysis catheters, or fistulas
- Placement of or drawing blood from peripheral IVs
- Arterial sticks
- Oral glucose tolerance tests except for Endocrine patients
- Paternity testing
- Specimens for forensic testing or legal evidence.
- Collection of specimens other than blood, urine, and sweat
- Acceptance or accessioning of specimens obtained at home or at other facilities