The Sea Garden at the Seashore House
Hope blooms here!
At The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, we want all of our patients to bloom and grow to the best of their abilities. In this spirit, CHOP has opened a garden for patients and families on the third-floor rooftop playdeck of Children’s Seashore House.
This holiday season, you can support the garden by purchasing Sea Garden greeting cards in the Gift Shop at CHOP. All proceeds will go towards garden upkeep. There is a limited quantity available, so purchase today!
Bringing the garden to life
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is excited to announce the partnership with Groundswell Design Group, a nationally celebrated landscape build and design firm, based in Hopewell, N.J., to create the vision for the new garden.
Working directly with a team from CHOP, the Groundswell team, comprised of landscape and hardscape designers and installers, worked to create a vision for the garden that was true to the core philosophy that design should take a holistic approach and create moments beyond just the meandering landscape experience.
CHOP is also thankful for a partnership with the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, an organization that provided support for Sea Garden planning and planting, and will participate in ongoing upkeep. We also thank Johnny's Selected Seeds, which has donated all the seeds planted in our garden!
Groundswell's design was inspired by the healing nature of the sea, with the goal of bringing the calm of the sand and the sea to patients and families. In addition to the beautiful design, the garden will include ongoing educational programming for patients and families, that will include everything from alphabet gardening and story-telling, to nutrition and healthy eating.
The Sea Garden at the Seashore House will:
- Help patients heal and rehabilitate
- Inspire, educate and entertain patients, families and staff
- Bring the outdoors to children who must spend a lot of time inside
- Build community among patients, families and staff
- Encourage healthful nutrition and activity
- Encourage environmental stewardship
- Have the potential to grow to other areas of the Hospital
- The garden will be a place of nurturing for children sick and well. Just as they have different needs, the garden will host different plants: natives, edibles and eye-pleasing shrubs and flowers.
- The garden will be a place where patients and families can be invigorated and also find peace. It will be a colorful, fragrant, living extension of our mission, helping children with different challenges bloom and grow to the best of their abilities.