Worldwide CHOP Global Health Youth Essay Competition
Call for youth stories
The Global Health Center at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is inviting submissions for the Worldwide 2022 CHOP Global Health Youth Essay Competition. If you are between 12 and 19 years old, we want to hear directly from you.
Drawing from your personal experiences, tell us your ideas on how to improve child and adolescent health where you live ― whether it’s improving adolescent mental health, improving the health outcomes of immigrant and refugee children, reducing the impact of climate change on child and adolescent health, preventing injuries from road accidents, reducing the impact of community and family violence, decreasing war’s impact on child health, using social media as a tool to improve child and adolescent health, or any other health-related topic that is important to you.
- To apply, you must be between the ages of 12 – 19 years old.
- Prior year winners are not eligible to apply.
- You can apply from anywhere in the world.
How it works
- Complete this form to submit your personal essay of up to 1,000 words by 5:00 p.m. US Eastern Time on Wednesday, August 31, 2022.
- Essays can be submitted in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, or Spanish.
- Use Times New Roman 12-point font and double-space your essay.
- You are welcome to include an optional short video (1 min or less), poem, song (1 min or less), or visual art piece. Though the quality of these pieces will not be counted toward the review of your essay, they should enhance the message of your submission.
- Your submission must contain original content that speaks to your own ideas or experiences.
- Co-authorship is acceptable as long as all authors meet all eligibility criteria; however, only one submission per individual or group is permitted.
- Essays will be reviewed as they’re submitted and winners will be announced by Friday, Sept. 9, 2022. Winners will be selected based on their essay’s overall excellence in describing innovative ways to improve child and adolescent health.
- Selected winners will be invited for a recorded interview with the CHOP Global Health Center staff.
- We will showcase these interviews at the 14th Annual CHOP Pediatric Global Health Conference (Friday, Sept. 30 – Saturday, Oct. 1, 2022).
- There shall be three cash prizes: a First Prize of $150, a Second Prize of $125, and a Third Prize of $75, in US dollars.
- Winners will also receive free access to any portions of the 14th Annual CHOP Pediatric Global Health Conference that will be hosted virtually.