Worldwide CHOP Global Health Youth Essay Competition
Call for youth stories
The Global Health Center at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) invites submissions for the Worldwide 2023 CHOP Global Health Youth Essay Competition. We want to hear from you if you are between 12 and 19 years old.
We invite you to draw from your personal experiences to submit an essay in response to the prompt:
“In the era of decolonizing global health, do high-income countries (HIC)* have an obligation to advance child health in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC)*?”
- To apply, you must be between the ages of 12 – 19 years old.
- Prior year winners are not eligible to apply.
- You can apply from anywhere in the world.
How it works
- Complete this form to submit your personal essay of up to 1,000 words by 5:00 p.m. US Eastern Time on Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2023.
- Essays can be submitted in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, or Spanish.
- Essays must be double-spaced and typed in Times New Roman 12-point font.
- You are welcome to include an optional short video (1 min or less), poem, song (1 min or less), or visual art piece. Though the quality of these pieces will not be counted toward the review of your essay, they should enhance the message of your submission.
- Your submission must contain original content that speaks to your own ideas or experiences.
- Co-authorship is acceptable as long as all authors meet all eligibility criteria; however, only one submission per individual or group is permitted.
- Essays will be reviewed as they’re submitted and winners will be announced by Friday, Sept. 8, 2023. Winners will be selected based on their essay’s overall excellence excellence in response to the prompt.
- Selected winners will be invited for a recorded interview with the CHOP Global Health Center staff.
- We will showcase these interviews at the 15th Annual CHOP Pediatric Global Health Conference (Friday, Sept. 29 – Saturday, Sept. 30th, 2023).
- There shall be three cash prizes: a First Prize of $150, a Second Prize of $125, and a Third Prize of $75, in US dollars.
- Winners will also receive free access to any portions of the 15th Annual CHOP Pediatric Global Health Conference that will be live-streamed and/or recorded.