Worldwide CHOP Global Health Youth Essay Competition
Call for youth stories
The Global Health Center at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is inviting submissions for the Worldwide 2021 CHOP Global Health Youth Essay Competition. If you are between 12 and 19 years old, we want to hear directly from you. Tell us your reflections on how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected your life ― your ability to go to school, participate in extramural activities, connect with your friends, your home life, access to any medical services you or your loved ones have needed, your health and any lessons you have learned over the past year.
- To apply, you must be between the ages of 12 – 19 years old.
- You can apply from anywhere in the world.
How it works
- Complete this form to submit your 700-1,000-word personal essay by 5 p.m. US Eastern Time on Monday, Sept. 20, 2021.
- Essays can be submitted in Arabic, English, French, or Spanish.
- Use Times New Roman 12-point font and double-space your essay.
- You are welcome to include an optional short video (1-min or less), poem, song (1-min or less), or visual art piece that enhances your essay. The quality of these pieces will not be counted toward the review of your essay.
- Your submission must contain original content that speaks to your own experiences.
- Co-authorship is acceptable as long as all authors meet all eligibility criteria; however, only one submission per individual or group is permitted.
- Winners will be announced by Friday, Oct. 8, 2021. They will be selected based on their essay’s overall excellence in describing how COVID-19 affected their lives.
- Selected winners will be invited for a recorded interview with the CHOP Global Health Center staff.
- We will showcase these interviews at the 13th Annual CHOP Pediatric Global Health Conference (Friday, Oct. 29 – Saturday, Oct. 30, 2021).
- There shall be three cash prizes: a First Prize of $125, a Second Prize of $75, and a Third Prize of $50, in US dollars.
- Winners will also receive free access to any portions of the 13th Annual CHOP Pediatric Global Health Conference that will be hosted virtually.