Before using, please refer to our Recipe Disclaimer.
Contributed by Natalie Stoner, RD, LDN, and Paige Vondran, BS
Serves: 1 portion
390 kcal per portion
- 2 round slices provolone cheese
- ½ cup ground chicken, turkey, or beef
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp. chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup shredded lettuce
- 1 Tbsp. chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese
- Dry seasonings: salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place provolone cheese slices on baking sheet.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes until cheese slices are browned.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and immediately position cheese in a taco shell mold or wrap around a rolling pin to create a U shape.
- Keep the cheese in position for about 1 minute until firm.
- In a sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the ground meat to the pan; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the meat while stirring often.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, cilantro, lettuce, onion, cheddar cheese, and cooked ground meat.
- Season with listed dry seasonings.
- Scoop mixture into cooled U shaped taco shells.
Tips and Tricks
- For a vegetarian option, the ground meat can be substituted with tofu or extra vegetables.
- The vegetables can be substituted as desired.
- This recipe should not be frozen or reheated; the texture will become chewy and not palatable.