Donate Toys, Games and Supplies to Child Life
We appreciate your interest in supporting the children at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) as well as Child Life, Education and Creative Arts Therapy. Because thousands of children visit our many facilities each year, we have an ongoing need for new toys, craft supplies, books, video games and movies.
Our wish list provides information about what kinds of toys/materials we are most in need of at any given time; however, infant toys and adolescent activities are always needed.
Items we can accept
For the safety of all patients, all donations must be new and safe (non-toxic). We recommend that all items are purchased directly from our wish list, including brand names, as we know these are the safest items for our patients and families.
Items we cannot accept
For infection control reasons, we cannot accept used toys and discourage donation of toys made of fabric or wood.
Patients at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia are often at high risk of acquiring an infection or illness. For this reason, we must not expose them to items that could bring them in contact with viruses or bacteria that might compromise their health.
Items we cannot accept include:
- Used toys
- Items that have been held in storage
- Collector's items
- Cloth items, including stuffed animals
- Handmade items
- Handmade cards and crafts
- Handwritten notes/messages
- Food items
- Violent themed toys, games, movies and books
If you have gently used toys or fabric items to donate, local shelters and churches are often in need of such items.
If your organization is planning on donating cloth/fabric items, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- All donated cloth or fabric items (blankets, quilts, knitted hats, etc.) should be washed in a non-fragrance detergent and dried completely prior to donation. Complete drying is very important because damp items can promote growth of germs. A home washing machine and dryer are adequate.
- Once dried, items should be individually wrapped or packaged in a ziplock plastic bag. This keeps items from collecting dust and other allergens.
To make a monetary donation, please call Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Foundation at 267-426-6500 or make a donation online.
Collection drives can be a great way for groups to get involved in helping others. Thank you very much for thinking of us.
These guidelines can help you plan a successful collection drive:
- Contact Child Life, Education and Creative Arts Therapy at 215-590-2001 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in hosting a drive.
- Select the date(s) of your drive. You may decide to coordinate a drive around a particular date, holiday or time of year. Schools have tied collection drives to dances, spirit days and holidays. Companies have linked drives to holidays or special anniversaries.
- Publicize, publicize, publicize! Publicity can play a large role in the success of your collection drive. Place a reminder in your neighborhood mailboxes, advertise in school, church or community newsletters, or talk about it to gain support and participation.
- Donations need to be collected in a transportable manner, either in bags or boxes, before being delivered to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
- Determine a date, time and method to deliver donations to CHOP.
Your donation will help our department meet the needs of the patients we see each year in Children's Hospital facilities.
Donations can be dropped off in our Main Building at 3401 Civic Center Blvd. between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., seven days a week. You will be able to temporarily park out front as long as you let a security guard know you’ll be dropping off donations.
To ensure proper follow-up and acknowledgement of your donation, please complete a donor form when you deliver your donation to the Information Desk.
Due to patient privacy, donors are not allowed to deliver directly to patients.
We are unable to accommodate large groups or vehicles at the time of drop-off.