It’s impossible to overestimate the importance of technology in today’s world. When a family turns to us for care, state-of-the-art technology can improve their entire experience — from appointment-making and time spent in the hospital to keeping track of their health records and managing a chronic illness at home. Technology can also help our world-class experts serve those who would otherwise never be able to see one of our doctors.
The Digital Health team at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is exploring ways technology can enhance patient experience, connect our experts to other healthcare providers, fuel our research efforts and build partnerships to help children everywhere.
There are many technologies that can be brought into the pediatric healthcare setting to better connect patients, families and providers. We have a variety of pilot projects underway exploring the use of high-tech, digital tools to improve patient experience, access, care coordination and more.
- Online scheduling tools to make healthcare more convenient for families
- Video visits that allow patients to receive care where they are, without having to go to a physical office — ask your provider for details
- A pilot school telehealth program that connects school nurses with CHOP providers through "virtual visits" to help children get the care they need in school
- Cameras in the Newborn/Infant Intensive Care Unit that allow families to see their babies when they can’t be at the bedside
- A "telederm" app that would allow dermatology patients to upload photos of skin issues and have video consultations with providers to assess if an in-person appointment is needed
- Using robots that: function as basic translators, educate patients, and offer therapeutic play with guidance from Child Life
- Virtual reality experiences that open a new world for patients who can’t leave their rooms
- Wearable technology that monitors the hearts of cardiac patients
- Mixed-reality technologies like Amazon Echo and Google Home that provide a more robust care plan at home
Every day, our Digital Health team partners closely with clinicians, researchers, entrepreneurs and technologists across the hospital to solve the problems that affect our patients.