Orthopaedic Second Opinions
Would you like a second surgical opinion from a CHOP expert?
After orthopaedic surgery is proposed for their child, many families want a second opinion or consultation. A second opinion or consultation, whether remote or in person, can give you the information you need to help make an educated decision about treatment.
Pediatric orthopaedic specialists at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) are available to you or your physician to provide remote or on-site second opinions or consultations. We work with families and pediatric orthopaedic specialists from all over the country and around the world to provide second opinions and consultations so you can make informed decisions.
Seeking a second opinion or consultation is very common, but quickly getting onto an expert’s schedule and coordinating medical records, imaging, medical consults, travel and insurance can seem overwhelming.
CHOP’s Division of Orthopaedics employs a dedicated referral nurse navigator, Maribeth Magarity, MSN, RN, who can give your family timely access to world-renowned pediatric orthopaedic surgeons in every specialty: sports injuries, spine deformities, hip problems, tumors/bone lesions, congenital hand disorders, brachial plexus injuries, leg and foot deformities, neuromuscular and congenital disorders and fractures, among others.
HOW TO GET A SECOND OPINION
Here are your options for requesting a second opinion from a pediatric orthopaedic specialist at CHOP:
- Complete the Orthopaedics Referral Nurse Navigator form to connect with our Orthopaedics Referral Nurse Navigator, Maribeth Magarity, MSN, RN.
- U.S. residents: See if your child is a candidate for our Online Second Opinion/Consultation Program.
- Non-U.S. residents: Contact our Global Patient Services team to learn more.
Why and when to get a second opinion from a pediatric orthopaedic specialist
Families seek second opinions and consultations for many reasons, including:
- Feeling uncomfortable with or needing confirmation of a diagnosis: When your child receives a new diagnosis you likely hope to make a treatment plan as soon as possible. You may find that a second opinion or consultation, whether remote or in person, helps clear up doubts you may have or provides you with the confirmation you need to proceed with treatment.
- Needing help with a decision to start, stop, or change a treatment plan: It not uncommon for parents to seek second opinions or consultations before their child receives any treatment, so you can feel confident in the path you are on. Another common time to get a second opinion or consultation is when a change in treatment has been recommended, or you are seeking additional treatment for a returning or recurrent orthopaedic issue.
- Seeking the opinion of a pediatric orthopaedic specialist with experience treating your child's condition: While your child’s orthopaedic specialist may have experience treating other children with your child's condition, they may wish to obtain a second opinion from a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon/specialist who is highly experienced with a particular diagnosis, especially when the disease is very rare, or your child's care is complex. CHOP specialists may be aware of new treatment methods or clinical trials and can share that information during a second opinion or consultation, whether remote or in person.
How our Orthopaedic referral nurse navigator can help with second opinions
When you contact Maribeth, she will speak with you about:
- Your child’s diagnosis and the surgery proposed by others
- CHOP orthopaedic surgery experts who can help you
If together you determine that CHOP Orthopaedics is the right place, Maribeth will schedule an evaluation with one of our experts.
Maribeth is here to ensure your experience at CHOP goes smoothly. Her role is to:
Make the transition to CHOP Orthopaedics easier
She will assist you in gathering records, studies and imaging as needed to determine if our orthopaedic doctors can meet your family’s needs.
“Thank you so very much for taking the time to review our son’s information, images, and put together a viable alternative … Your time, dedication, and effort toward finding a surgical solution for my son has demonstrated true professionalism and a genuine desire to help.”
Coordinate care between departments
In addition to Orthopaedics, your child may need to see multiple specialists at CHOP, and Maribeth will help to coordinate those appointments. She will attend your child’s initial orthopaedic appointment at CHOP and will be available to guide you through the process. She will ensure that your questions are answered and you understand any treatment recommendations.
Support you throughout your visit
Maribeth will serve as your primary contact throughout your visit to Orthopaedics. She can coordinate housing and transportation, provide additional support as needed, and answer any questions you may have.
“Honestly I can't thank you enough … from making the appointment to seeing your friendly smile. It was well worth the drive and the entire experience was wonderful... Walking out we felt confident and beyond trusting.”
Families from all over the United States have benefited from our Referral Nurse Navigator. Take a look at all the places these patients have come from since 2016.