During your initial visit to the Lipid Heart Clinic, you and your child will:
- Meet with a doctor and a dietitian.
- Review the patient questionnaire and three-day diet history.
- Discuss your child's health history, family history, eating habits, and physical activity levels.
- Discuss your child’s and other family members’ cholesterol levels.
- Have a physical exam performed on your child. Please be assured that blood samples will not be collected during the first visit.
- Develop a healthy eating plan for your child and family.
- Receive a referral to the Cardiovascular Risk Assessment Clinic, Hypertension Clinic, and/or Healthy Weight Program, if necessary.
- Discuss the possibility of starting medication, if necessary.
Please complete and bring the following with you to your child's appointment:
- The patient questionnaire
- The three-day diet history
- Your child's cholesterol test results (or have your pediatrician fax them to us at 267-426-9800)
- If available, cholesterol test results from your child’s biological parents and siblings who are older than 2 years of age
For your follow-up visits, we will ask that your child has lipid levels and possibly other bloodwork rechecked one to two weeks before your child's appointment. We will review any diet and exercise changes your child has made, review other new medical and family history, and we will review the most recent lipid levels and other pertinent laboratory studies. If your child is on a medication, we will also review compliance and determine whether any changes need to be made.