Construction on Philadelphia Campus
Why we're doing this work
When visiting CHOP’s Philadelphia Campus, you'll notice construction activities taking place. These activities are associated with several ongoing projects that will help CHOP achieve its goal of providing world-class care to our patients and families by developing world-class facilities. Our campus is expanding to become a fully private-room institution — which we'll achieve by adding the Hub for Clinical Collaboration, a New Patient Pavilion, renovations to the Main Hospital and more!
A key initial component of this work is the Utility Relocation Project. Relocating necessary utilities will increase CHOP’s building system reliability as we prepare for future expansion of our facilities. Watch this video to learn more about the Utility Relocation Project.
Construction projects currently underway on CHOP's Philadelphia Campus
Learn more about the New Patient Tower Construction:
- Osler Plaza and Wood Garage Closure
- Osler Plaza: To support construction of CHOP's New Patient Tower, Osler Plaza and Wood Garage will be permanently closed. Vehicular and pedestrian access to Osler Plaza will be permanently closed on April 15, 2022.
- Wood Garage: The Wood Garage is tentatively scheduled for full permanent closure after April 13, 2022.
- Signage: Wayfinding signage will be deployed throughout campus to ensure patients, families and staff can navigate to their destination regardless of parking location.
- West End Emergency Department Vehicular Entry Widening
- From Nov. 8 through Dec. 13, 2021, work will be ongoing to widen the ED vehicular entry to prepare for the full closure of East Service Drive.
- The widening will maintain vehicular access when this entry becomes the only vehicular access point to the ED.
- Bridge Construction above East Service Drive
- A bridge above East Service Drive will connect Buerger Bridge to Main Level 3 to allow for building connectivity during and after the Wood Center demolition.
- The bridge construction will be completed in two phases: (1) Utility Relocation & Foundation Installation, beginning Nov. 8, 2021 and (2) Bridge Structure Installation, beginning Nov. 22, 2021.
- East Service Drive will be closed between December 2021 and Spring 2022 starting at Civic Center Boulevard to support phase (1) Utility Relocation & Foundation Installation.
- There will be no impact to Main A Garage Down Ramp. Pedestrians should be aware of modified routes as a result of construction fencing.
- Trash cans and bike racks will require adjustments in locations to enable the work.
- East Service Drive
- Impact 1: The sidewalk at the southwest corner of the intersection of Civic Center Boulevard and East Service Drive will be closed until late November 2021. One lane of traffic on Civic Center Boulevard will also be closed in this area.
- Impact 2: East Service Drive will be partially closed through December 2021 to enable underground utility relocations and foundation work to support the construction of a new bridge that will connect the existing Buerger Bridge to the Main Hospital. The bridge will provide connectivity to CHOP Buildings throughout construction of the New Patient Tower Project. Signage will be implemented to assist with modifications to vehicular and pedestrian access routes.
- Curie Boulevard - Lane shifts will be in place during the day along Curie Boulevard to accommodate the installation of new underground utilities beginning in June 2021.
- During the day (5 a.m. - 8 p.m.): Curie Boulevard will remain two-way (one lane each direction) while working around construction activity.
- At night (8 p.m. - 5 a.m.): Curie Boulevard will be reduced to one lane of traffic, traveling east.
- Civic Center Boulevard - Traffic patterns have changed on Civic Center Boulevard between East Service Drive and West Service Drive. The following changes will be in place in this location until late November 2021:
- During the day (5 a.m. - 8 p.m.): Civic Center Boulevard will be reduced to two lanes of traffic.
- At night (8 p.m. - 5 a.m.): Civic Center Boulevard will be reduced to one lane of traffic.
- At all times, the north sidewalk between West Service Drive and Osler Circle will be closed to pedestrians.
- At all times during this period of construction, bicycles traveling westbound will share the road with vehicles in this area. Bike riders travelling eastbound will need to dismount and walk their bike to safely get through the work area.
Current construction activity and detours can be seen here:
How we'll reduce additional traffic congestion
Throughout construction, visitors to CHOP’s Philadelphia Campus will experience various road and lane closures. Here's how we'll work to avoid further congestion around campus:
- Thoughtful scheduling: We will make every effort to limit closures and/or schedule closures during non-peak travel times.
- Policing of illegal parking: Additional policing of illegally parked vehicles has begun and will help decongest the streets around CHOP’s Philadelphia Campus.
- Vendor communications: We will proactively inform CHOP vendors of the changes that will be occurring on Philadelphia Campus and how they can properly coordinate access to either our docks or parking areas without parking illegally. Green Security will be utilized as a communication platform for this message.
Contact our Facilities team with questions or comments about construction happening on Philadelphia Campus.