Construction on Philadelphia Campus
Why we're doing this work
When visiting CHOP’s Philadelphia Campus, you'll notice construction activities taking place. These activities are associated with several ongoing projects that will help CHOP achieve its goal of providing world-class care to our patients and families by developing world-class facilities. Our campus is expanding to become a fully private-room institution — which we'll achieve by adding the Hub for Clinical Collaboration, a New Patient Tower, renovations to the Main Hospital and more!
A key initial component of this work is the Utility Relocation Project. Relocating necessary utilities will increase CHOP’s building system reliability as we prepare for future expansion of our facilities. Watch this video to learn more about the Utility Relocation Project.
Construction projects currently underway on CHOP's Philadelphia Campus
- East Service Drive - The sidewalk at the Northeast corner of the intersection of Civic Center Blvd. and East Service Dr will be closed until late April 2021. One lane of traffic will also be closed in this area.
- Curie Boulevard - Utility Relocation is tentatively scheduled to begin in May 2021, lasting approximately 12 months. The utility work will be performed in individual 100 ft sections and active work will occur at night. During the day (5 a.m. - 8 p.m.) one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction. At night (8 p.m. - 5 a.m.) the road will be reduced to a single lane and will be one-way from University Ave, to East Service Dr.
- University Avenue - Utility Relocation is tentatively scheduled to begin in May 2021, lasting approximately 18 months. The utility work will be performed in multiple 200 ft sections and active work will occur during the day. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in both directions at all times.
- Civic Center Boulevard - Traffic patterns have changed on Civic Center Blvd. between East Service Drive and West Service Drive. The following changes will be in place in this location until October 2021:
- During the day (5 a.m. - 8 p.m.): Civic Center Blvd. reduced to two lanes of traffic
- At night (8 p.m. - 5 a.m.): Civic Center Blvd. reduced to one lane of traffic
- At all times the north sidewalk between West Service Drive and Osler Circle will be closed to pedestrians. No impact on access to Colket.
- At all times bicycles traveling westbound will share the road with vehicles in this area, and bicycles traveling eastbound will need to dismount and walk to get through the work area.
How we'll reduce additional traffic congestion
Throughout construction, visitors to our campus will experience various road and lane closures. Here's how we'll work to avoid further congestion around Philadelphia Campus:
- Thoughtful scheduling: We will make every effort to limit closures and/or schedule them during non-peak travel times.
- Policing of illegal parking: Additional policing of illegally parked vehicles has begun and will help decongest the streets around Philadelphia Campus.
- Vendor communications: We will proactively inform CHOP vendors of the changes that will be occurring on Philadelphia Campus and how they can properly coordinate access to either our docks or parking areas without parking illegally. Green Security will be utilized as a communication platform for this message.
Contact our Facilities team with questions or comments about construction happening on Philadelphia Campus.