Financial Assistance Policy Summary
The mission of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is to advance healthcare for children. To help children get the care that they need, CHOP provides financial assistance for medically necessary and emergency care to patients who meet the eligibility requirements. If CHOP determines that a patient is eligible, CHOP will waive 100% of the patient’s financial responsibility (after all applicable insurances and other government assistance).
To be eligible for financial assistance from CHOP, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Have a total Household Income that does not exceed 400% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Be either: uninsured or insured by an insurance company that participates with CHOP.
- Reside in CHOP’s Primary Service Area.
- Cooperate in qualifying for assistance from your state’s Medical Assistance (Medicaid), Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), and/or other state programs, if potentially eligible for these programs.
- Complete a CHOP Financial Assistance Application (Application) and provide required documentation.
How to apply for financial assistance
Contact the Family Health Coverage Program. If you think you may be eligible for assistance, please contact the Family Health Coverage Program via phone (1-800-974-2125) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Family Health Coverage Program staff will help you determine whether you are potentially eligible for financial assistance under CHOP’s Policy and from state assistance programs, and they will assist you with the application process.
Submit an Application and Supporting Documents. Applications and documents may be submitted to the Family Health Coverage Program: (1) in person at their office (Main Hospital Building, on the 8th floor in Suite 8NE10, near the Connelly Center), (2) via email to email@example.com, or (3) via mail to Family Health Coverage Program, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, 3401 Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
- Full text of CHOP Financial Assistance Policy
- Financial Assistance Application
- 4029 Financial Relief Policy
You can also pick up copies of the Financial Assistance Policy and Application at any CHOP registration desk. If you would like to receive free copies by mail, please call (1-800-974-2125) or email the Family Health Coverage Program.
Note: Because eligible patients will not be charged by CHOP for medically necessary or emergency care, they will not be charged more than the amount generally billed by CHOP.
Financial Assistance coverage rules and exceptions
- Prescriptions: It is important to note that although prescriptions are covered, they must be prescribed by a CHOP physician and filled at the CHOP pharmacy.
- Research: Anyone who is participating in a grant study that provides healthcare coverage must use that coverage. Financial Assistance will not cover an expense that is eligible to be covered through research.
Get help with medication costs
At times, your family may qualify for discounted medicine from the drug company. We encourage you to contact the drug company directly. We are here to help you. Please feel free to ask your social worker or another member of your child’s care team for more information.