On October 27, 2018, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) hosted Your Heart and Your Future: Growing and Thriving with Congenital Heart Disease. This exciting event was dedicated to teaching adolescents and young adults about their heart disease and some of the challenges of being an adult with congenital heart disease.
During this interactive event, speakers explored the future of congenital heart disease, including new therapeutic options and ongoing research, and discussed practical life skills and coping strategies to help address the challenges of life with congenital heart disease. Adolescents and young adults aged 14 to 22 years old with heart disease and their families were in attendance.
Program topics included:
- Transition: Taking Control of Your Healthcare
- Adulting 101: But My Parents Always Do That ...
- Developing Resilience: Not Just Surviving but Thriving
- Surgery: New Hearts, New Valves, New Ideas
- Interventional Cardiology: Rebuilding the Heart from the Inside
- Heart Rhythm Management: Smaller, Faster, Stronger
- 3D Heart Models, Prosthetic Valves, Electrophysiology Devices Available to Review with Providers
A dynamic panel of adult congenital cardiologists and a group of adult patients with congenital heart disease also answered questions submitted during the lunch hour. Separate breakout sessions for caregivers and young adults were also offered. The event was held through the generosity of Geoff & Ruthie Duffine.