Creative Arts Therapy Internship
Comprehensive creative arts therapy internship training is offered three times a year at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Internship training is one integral requirement for students who are planning a career as a creative arts therapist.
Information about certification process, information on coursework and career planning and eligibility requirements for certification can be found on the discipline-specific websites of the American Art Therapy Association, American Music Therapy Association and American Dance Therapy Association.
Interns are introduced to the creative arts therapy field while developing their interventions skill set as a therapist, as well as the variety of experiences facing children and adolescents in a healthcare setting. Interns participate in individual and group sessions with children and families. Interns are supervised by a board-certified art therapist or board-certified music therapist. Dance movement therapy interns are supervised by an off-site credentialed dance movement therapist.
Interns gain experience working in a variety of pediatric healthcare settings that may include acute care, outpatient clinics, or rehabilitation settings.
Application is not a guarantee of acceptance. A limited number of students will be accepted each year as space allows.
- Candidates must be enrolled in an American Art Therapy Association (AATA) approved graduated Art Therapy program, American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) approved undergraduate or graduated Music Therapy program, or American Dance Therapy Association (ADTA) approved graduate program.
- Demonstration of a strong background in child development and the application of art/music/dance therapy in child development
- Knowledge of psychosocial issues related to illness and hospitalization
- Experience working with children
These requirements must be met by the application postmark deadline for the candidate to be considered. Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia does not accept “in progress” for the requirements, including academic course requirements and hours working with children/teens in traditional and healthcare environments.
The start/end dates are established with limited flexibility:
- Spring 2021 session: *Please note Due to COVID-19, we are postponing Spring 2021 Applications. You are welcome to apply for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 sessions. Thank you for your kind patience and understanding during this unprecedented time.
- Summer 2021 session: Begins May 10, 2021. Application postmark deadline: Dec. 15, 2020
- Fall 2021 session: Art Therapy and Music Therapy Internship Fall 2021 Start Date TBD *Please note that Dance/Movement Therapy Internship Slot will not be available until Spring 2022 Application postmark deadline for Fall 2021: March 15, 2021
All application materials must be postmarked by the stated application deadline to be considered a candidate for the session. Hand-delivered applications will not be accepted.
Please contact the Student Programs Coordinator with any questions regarding the start and end dates.
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia does not provide housing for students. However, rooms and apartments are available for rent from Sansom Place Guest Accommodations through The University of Pennsylvania, located adjacent to The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Students who are accepted to the student program who contact Sansom Place Guest Accommodations for housing must notify the staff at Sansom Place that they are CHOP-Child Life Programs and Volunteer Services students.
For more detailed information about the creative arts therapy internship experience, please download the internship application and please note that the address on the application itself is no longer in use. Please send your application to:
Attention: Creative Arts Therapy Student Program
Wood Building 6th Floor, Child Life Suite
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
3401 Civic Center Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Quality supervision is a top priority for our student programs. The number of students accepted will vary from semester to semester due to the number of applicants and supervisor availability.
For more information about professional education in the Child Life Programs and Volunteer Services, please call 267-426-1340 or email email@example.com.