Amenities on and near the Philadelphia Campus
Whether you are visiting our Philadelphia Campus for a single outpatient appointment or planning an extended inpatient stay in the Main Hospital, we want your time here to be as comfortable and hassle-free as possible. The following amenities are offered on-site or nearby, making it easier for you to navigate your child’s healthcare journey and focus on what really matters – your family.
Banking & ATMS
The closest banks to the Main Hospital are:
- PNC: University City Branch, 3535 Market Street. 215-823-2300
- Wells Fargo: Chestnut and 34th Street Financial Center, 3431 Chestnut Street. 215-222-2139
You will find ATMs in the following locations:
- Main Hospital, first floor in the cafeteria corridor (Wells Fargo)
- Children's Seashore House, first floor (American Heritage Federal Credit Union)
The hospital gift shop, Lori's Gifts, is located on the first floor of our Main Hospital, just off of the Stokes Rotunda. Stop by to browse a variety of toys, gifts, toiletries, snacks and more.
Hours of operation
Weekdays: 7 a.m. to 1 a.m.; Weekends and holidays: 9 a.m. to 1 a.m.
Gifts for hospitalized patients can also be ordered through our online gift shop. Gifts ordered by 3 p.m. are usually delivered the same day, barring any medical restrictions the patient may have.
There are several ways you can connect to the Internet while your child is at CHOP’s Philadelphia Campus:
- Free Wi-Fi: Wireless Internet access is provided at no cost to families across the Philadelphia Campus. To connect, choose ”chopguest” as the wireless network. Once connected, accept the terms on the sign-in page.
- Computers are also available for your use in the Family Library, located within the Connelly Resource Center for Families on the eighth floor of the Main Hospital, and on some inpatient units in the family lounges or playrooms. Unfortunately, families will not be able to access their personal email from any CHOP connected computer. This restriction was put in place to prevent a potential cyber attack on healthcare institutions. Check with your child's nurse or child life specialist for more information.
- Cell phones and other wireless devices are welcome; however, they may not be plugged in near any clinical equipment. You may use the outlets in the wall opposite the head of the bed.
- There are charging stations outside many clinical units, in the Connelly Center, South Tower elevator lobbies and in other locations.
A United States Postal Service mailbox is located outside the Main Hospital entrance, next to the bus stop.
The closest U.S. Post Office to CHOP’s Philadelphia campus is located at 28 S. 40th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Visit USPS for more information.
Have your Amazon order delivered to Philadelphia Campus at the Amazon lockers on the P1 level of the Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care (in the parking garage).
Shipping packages? Head to a UPS Store. See UPS locations.
Personal Care Services
If your child is an inpatient and staying in a "single" room, you may use the bathroom shower. If your child's room does not have a shower, ask your child's nurse to direct you to one near the unit. If your child is in a "double" room, we ask that you not use the bathroom shower. Your child's nurse can direct you to the closest shower facilities. Parents may also use the shower in The Connelly Resource Center for Families on the eighth floor of the Main Hospital.
Washers and dryers
Laundry facilities are available for families of in-patients in The Connelly Resource Center for Families on the eighth floor of the Main Hospital, and on each of the "South" units. Laundry soap is provided.
Private lactation rooms are available for nursing mothers 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No key or sign-in is necessary. Rooms are available on a first come-first served basis. Each room is equipped with a Medela Symphony breast pump, sink, microwave for sterilizing equipment and a comfortable chair.
Your child's nurse can provide you with a pump kit to use with the pump, and directions to the closest lactation room. For more information about our lactation program or to contact a lactation specialist, please visit the Breastfeeding and Lactation Program.
Prescription and non-prescription medications are available at the University City Retail Pharmacy located on the first floor of the Main Hospital, just inside the main entrance. CHOP prescriptions as well as other, commercially available medications are available. Most insurances accepted.
Pharmacy hours: Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday: 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Located two blocks from CHOP’s Philadelphia Campus, the CVS Pharmacy at 3401 Walnut St., is across the street from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Cell phones and other wireless devices are welcome to be used in the Main Hospital and on our Philadelphia Campus. Please note the following rules:
- Cell phones are prohibited in certain patient care areas where they may interfere with patient monitoring equipment. Before using your cell phone, please check with your child's nurse.
- Cell phones and other wireless devices may not be plugged in near any clinical equipment. You may use the outlets in the wall opposite the head of the bed.
- There are charging stations outside many clinical units, in the Connelly Center, and in other locations. Check with your child’s nurse if you have questions.
In patient rooms
If your child is an inpatient at our Main Hospital, a telephone is provided in your child's room for your convenience. Incoming calls may be received between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. After 9 p.m., incoming calls will go to a recorded announcement.
There is no charge for local calls. To make local calls from the room phone to area codes 215 and 267 and for toll-free numbers, dial 9 plus the 10-digit telephone number. To call numbers outside of Philadelphia, please provide the operator with billing information such as collect, third-party billing and calling card numbers.
Within the Main Hospital, calls can be made using a 5-digit extension number. To place other calls, please dial the operator at extension 4-1000.
Courtesy phones are provided in the Main Hospital lobby, the Emergency Department and the ADA CARing for Kids Welcome Center. Families may use these phones to call area hotels, taxis, Wheels Inc. (medical assistance transportation) and the Ronald McDonald House™ free of charge.
Pay telephones are located outside most Hospital units and on the first floor of the Main Hospital.
Parks and recreation
Families visiting CHOP’s Philadelphia campus may consider adding a fun detour while in town. There are tons of things to do and see nearby. Consider adding one or more of the following family-friendly options to your family’s trip to the city:
- Enjoy nature at the Schuylkill River Park, Cira Green Park, Drexel Park or Saunders Park Greene.
- Visit live animals at the Philadelphia Zoo or visit the dinosaurs at the Academy of Natural Sciences.
- Looking for more fun? Check out the Please Touch Museum, enjoy the Franklin Institute, or visit the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Don’t forget to get your picture with the Rocky statue out front!
- View www.visitphilly.com for more ideas.