What is Galaxy 51?
Galaxy 51 is the patient television network found on channel 51 of any CHOP television. Patients and families can participate in LIVE shows from the Hospital bedside by dialing 5-5555 on any CHOP phone or by visiting Seacrest Studios — a multimedia studio located in the Main Hospital’s Colket Atrium. Galaxy 51 and Seacrest Studios are part of Child Life’s Media Programs.
Galaxy 51 programs and initiatives aim to be:
- Therapeutic: Provide opportunities for children to express themselves and supports children’s coping with the healthcare experience.
- Educational: Provide opportunities for children to learn about the Hospital environment as well as other topics.
- Interactive: Give children the chance to become involved in various aspects of production and programming, whether or not they are able to leave their beds/rooms.
- Entertaining: Offer programs that serve as an enjoyable distraction from the routine aspects of hospitalization.
Visiting Seacrest Studios
Seacrest Studios is for everyone*. The studio typically opens weekdays at 10 a.m. and closes at the end of live shows each day. When a crew member is in the studio, you can walk right in and learn about the equipment, help host a show, get on a mic or just enjoy watching! Check out Karaoke Studio from 1-2 p.m. weekdays to record a music video.
*Please note that per Hospital infection control policy, patients on precautions and their family members and visitors will be restricted from entering the studio.
What are patient media services?
Patient media services are another part of Child Life’s Media Programs. These services include video and photography for families and one-on-one productions of patient-directed projects. Patients can use state-of-the-art multimedia equipment to make their own creations to keep, and even share on Galaxy 51! Contact a Child Life staff member or email Galaxy 51 to get started.
Galaxy 51 Backstage Pass
Join the Galaxy 51 Backstage Pass sticker participation program. Collect all four and earn your All Access sticker and name on the Seacrest Studios autograph wall!
Backstage Pass cards and lanyards are available at Seacrest Studios.
- Earn the PRODUCE IT! sticker for each video or media project you make or when you operate the controls for a live show. We have all the gear you need!
- Earn the PICK IT! sticker each time you co-host a live show with the studio crew, DJ the music or take the mic to debate all the hot topics.
- Earn the PLAY IT! sticker by winning three times in one day while playing along with any of our great games, trivia or BINGO!
- Earn the PERFORM IT! sticker each time you showcase your unique talents on a live show or make your own music video in Karaoke Studio.
The Media Programs Division of CHOP’s Child Life Department accepts applications throughout the year for its internship training program for college students. Interns participate in the production of live original shows for the Galaxy 51 network, are members of the Seacrest Studios crew, and assist in the filming of various assigned pre-produced video projects.
Learn more about the Patient Media Programs internship training.
To learn about other internship opportunities offered by Child Life, Education and Creative Arts Therapy, please visit our Professional Education Opportunities page.
Interested in volunteering?
If you are interested in assisting patients and families in participating with Galaxy 51 programs, but are not interested in or able to meet the requirements of the internship program, you may want to consider volunteering.