Complicated Twin Pregnancies Research
The Richard D. Wood Jr. Center for Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment is a nationally recognized center for the evaluation and treatment of complicated twin pregnancies such as twin-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS), selective intrauterine growth restriction (sIUGR) or selective fetal growth restriction (sFGR), twin reversed arterial perfusion (TRAP) sequence, twin anemia polycythemia sequence (TAPS), and conjoined twins.
Through cutting-edge technology and treatment, our center has promoted continuous dedication towards the care and management of twin pregnancies by facilitating and promoting twins and complex multiples research projects in order to disseminate critical clinical information to our families and the medical communities.
Current research studies
- Monochorionic (MC) Twins Registry
- North American Fetal Therapy Network (NAFTNet)
- Madsen PJ, Heuer GG, Taylor JA. Commentary: Craniopagus separation, a model for innovation in surgery. Surgery. 2020 Aug;168(2):231-232.
Prior noteworthy TTTS publications
- Zaretsky MV, Tong S, Lagueux M, Lim FY, Khalek N, Emery SP, Davis S, Moon-Grady AJ, Drennan K, Treadwell MC, Petersen E, Santiago-Munoz P, Brown R; North American Fetal Therapy Network. North American Fetal Therapy Network: Timing of and indications for delivery following laser ablation for twin-twin transfusion syndrome. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2019 Mar;1(1):74-81.
- Moldenhauer JS, Johnson MP. Diagnosis and Management of Complicated Monochorionic Twins. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Sep;58(3):632-42.
- Khalek N, Johnson MP, Bebbington MW. Fetoscopic laser therapy for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2013 Feb;22(1):18-23.
- Bebbington MW, Danzer E, Moldenhauer J, Khalek N, Johnson MP. Radiofrequency ablation vs bipolar umbilical cord coagulation in the management of complicated monochorionic pregnancies. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Sep;40(3):319-24.
- Bebbington M, Tiblad E, Huesler-Charles M, Wilson R, Mann S, Johnson M. Outcomes in a cohort of patients with stage 1 twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS). Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2010 July; 36(1): 48-51.
- Rychik J, Tian Z, Bebbington M, Xu F, McCann M, Mann S, et al. The twin-twin transfusion syndrome: Spectrum of cardiovascular abnormality and development of a cardiovascular score to assess severity of disease. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007: 197:392f.e1-392.e8.
Prior noteworthy conjoined twins publications
- Heuer GG, Madsen PJ, Flanders TM, Kennedy BC, Storm PB, Taylor JA. Separation of Craniopagus Twins by a Multidisciplinary Team. N Engl J Med. 2019 Jan 24;380(4):358-364.
- Mackenzie TC, Crombleholme TM, Johnson MP, Schnaufer L, Flake AW, Hedrick HL, Howell LJ, Adzick NS. The natural history of prenatally diagnosed conjoined twins. J Pediatr Surg. 2002 Mar;37(3):303-9.