The Clinical Nutrition Department at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) provides comprehensive nutrition consultation services for patients of all ages, in both inpatient and outpatient settings. We are the experts in helping your growing child reach their nutritional goals. While the children we work with have many different conditions, our goal remains the same for all: to nurture them nutritionally, physically and emotionally, and support their families in their journey.
Who we are
CHOP offers the largest pediatric Clinical Nutrition department in the United States with more than 85 nutrition team members including registered dietitians, registered dietetic technicians and a medical chef educator. Our Clinical Nutrition team provides specialized, expert care to children at the hospital and throughout CHOP's Care Network.
Where we practice
CHOP's Clinical Nutrition team provides comprehensive nutrition consultation services to patients of all ages at CHOP's University City Campus, and at 10 satellite offices throughout southeastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey. This allows for continuity of clinical nutrition care from the hospital setting, to outpatient visits, and back home.
Nutrition services vary based on location. Please consult with your child's clinical dietitian to answer specific questions to meet your family's needs. Find out more about our locations with nutrition services:
- Abington, PA – Specialty Care
- Brandywine Valley, PA – Specialty Care & Surgery Center
- Bucks County, PA – Specialty Care & Surgery Center
- Exton, PA – Specialty Care Center
- King of Prussia, PA – Specialty Care & Surgery Center
- Lancaster, PA – Specialty Care
- Plainsboro, NJ – Specialty Care, Princeton at Plainsboro
- Philadelphia, PA – University City
- Voorhees, NJ – Specialty Care & Surgery Center
- Voorhees, NJ – Specialty Care, Virtua
Leading the way
We are constantly looking for new ways to improve care for patients and make meeting nutrition goals easier for families.
To do this, we seek continuing education – more than half of our team members have advanced degrees – and strive to share knowledge gained with more providers and groups who can help patients and families.
When food is medicine…
Born with a rare genetic syndrome, Savannah's parents struggled to find a "real food" solution to meet her medical needs and their wishes. With the help of CHOP dietitians, the family discovered blenderized tube feedings as a way to improve her nutrition and meet her needs.
In the past year:
42 provided national presentations and academic publications
43sub-specialties of nutrition expertise in pediatrics
2of CHOP’s new “Frontier Programs” included innovation with nutrition*
* Frontier Programs included: Mitochondrial Medicine and Food Allergy Center.
- Clinical Nutrition Inpatient Services
- Clinical Nutrition Outpatient Services
- Clinical Nutrition Support Service
The Clinical Nutrition staff includes registered dietitians and diet technicians who work directly with your family to develop nutrition plans that meet the medical and cultural needs of your child.