Preparing for Your Dermatology Appointment
If your child has an appointment with a Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia dermatologist, you may be scheduled to be seen at our Main Campus location in Philadelphia or one of our network locations throughout the community.
No matter where your appointment is scheduled, we encourage you to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time so our registration staff can review all of your child’s information and ask any additional questions.
If you arrive late, you risk being seen later or having your appointment rescheduled. Please call us at 215-590-2169 if you are running late. If you need to cancel your appointment, please give us 72 hours’ notice. Another family will be grateful for the appointment opening.
If your appointment is at a CHOP Care Network location
See our list of locations for more information about each facility, including hours, addresses and directions. Call us at 215-590-2169 if you have any questions.
If your appointment is at the Main Campus location
Dermatology is located on the 6th floor of the Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care, located at 3500 Civic Center Blvd., Philadelphia, PA, on the Raymond G. Perelman Campus.
The Buerger Center features “Wait, Play, Learn” areas for educational play before and between appointments, an outdoor plaza, a rooftop garden, and a Welcome Center on the ground level with a lounge, TV, computers and more. If you’re hungry, there is a café with grab-and-go snack options on the ground level.
Proceed down Civic Center Boulevard and turn left at Osler Circle onto the Buerger Center plaza. Immediately turn right into the underground parking garage (Garage B). Find more parking information.
When you arrive
- Visitor badge: Upon arrival, every adult must provide a photo ID at the Welcome Desk to obtain a visitor badge.
- Appointment check-in: Patients and families can check in on the 6th floor using a self-check-in kiosk or with one of our patient service representatives.
If your insurance company requires a referral before your child can be examined at CHOP, please contact your child's primary care provider. The provider will need to know the date of your child's upcoming visit, dermatology provider numbers (which our appointment schedulers can provide you), and which CHOP location your child is being seen at. Referrals need to be in place at the time of your child's appointment at CHOP or the visit may be delayed or rescheduled.
What to bring
Please make sure you bring the following to your child’s first appointment:
- Appointment information: doctor’s name, building name/location, time of appointment.
- Insurance information and current insurance cards: Please provide any authorization your insurance company may require. You should call your insurance company to get this information.
- Co-pay or co-insurance for the visit: If you have any questions, please call the pre-visit financial counseling hotline at 1-800-664-7855.
- Phone and fax numbers of your child’s primary care physician, pharmacy, and the provider who referred you to CHOP.
- Medications: Bring all of the medications your child currently takes — including over-the-counter medications — in a bag. If you’d prefer to write a list of medications, we will need the medicine name, dosage, frequency, prescribing doctor, pharmacy name and phone number, as well as how long your child has been using this medication. Most families find it easier to toss everything in a bag and bring it along.
- Notes of any questions or comments so you don’t forget all the things you wanted to ask, or tell your child’s provider.
- Other items: We encourage you to bring toys, books and/or snacks to keep your child or children occupied and content while waiting.
If your family feels more comfortable speaking a language other than English, the Hospital offers language services at no cost. Let us know if you’d like to arrange for an interpreter to join you for your appointment.