Your Child's Outpatient Occupational Therapy Appointment
Your child’s outpatient occupational therapy appointment will be scheduled at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care located on the Raymond G. Perelman Campus in Philadelphia or one of the CHOP Care Network Specialty Care Centers that provide OT services.
To schedule your child’s outpatient occupational therapy appointment:
- Your child must have a prescription prior to scheduling an occupational therapy visit. If the referring physician is outside of CHOP, the prescription can be faxed to 215-590-7661 or sent via email (SchedulingOTPT@email.chop.edu).
- You may call 215-590-5819 to complete the intake process after the prescription is received. Please have the following information available when you call:
- Child’s insurance card
- Calendar to choose best time and day
- Whether or not your child is being referred from a clinic
- The location of your child’s visit will be decided based on your family’s schedule and therapist availability. Directions for each location are available online.
On the day of your child’s appointment
Please plan to arrive 15 to 30 minutes before your appointment. This will allow for unplanned
transportation delays and give you enough time to find parking and complete the registration process
before the appointment. We need the full therapy session to meet the goals set by you and your child’s
If you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, you may need to reschedule for another time
or day or with another therapist. Your appointment may also be cancelled.
At the Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care, you will need to check in at the Giant Welcome desk on the first floor prior to your child’s appointment on the 4th floor.
You will be asked to reschedule if your family arrives 15 minutes or later for your child’s scheduled appointment.
During registration, please have the following information ready:
- Your child’s social security number
- Your child’s medical insurance card
- Co-pay (you may find the amount of your co-pay on your insurance card, under "specialty")
During your child's appointment
Typically an occupational therapy appointment lasts approximately an hour. Specific OT interventions or tools will be based on your child’s medical condition and specific needs.
Copy of medical records
To request a copy of your child’s medical record, please contact our Medical Records Department at 215-590-7720.
Information for scheduling medical transportation
Medical Assistance recipients are eligible for transportation to occupational therapy appointments. Prior to calling for medical transportation, you should have the following information ready:
- The name and address of the occupational therapist your child will be seeing
- Date and time of the scheduled appointment
- Occupational Therapy department phone number: 215-590-5819
Inform the transportation company that you need to arrive 45 minutes to an hour prior to your scheduled appointment time to allow for check-in.
You can find this information on the After Visit Summary form you received after your child’s initial evaluation.
Visit the Resources page for a list of companies that provide medical transportation.