Referral Sites (DE and eastern PA) for Environmental or Occupational Toxicology Concerns
The following information is also available as a downloadable PDF.
The Poison Control Center offers the public information regarding poisons and poisoning, including providing information pertaining to potential exposure to environmental chemicals.
In some instances, families or healthcare providers seek additional depth of expertise and evaluation for environmental toxicology concerns.
There are a limited number of physicians qualified to provide special medical consultation regarding exposures to environmental or occupational chemicals and pollutants. These may include medical toxicologists, or specialists in occupational and environmental medicine. Contact information for some such specialists, from within our region, is provided.
For adult patients
- Toxicology Clinic at Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia: 1-215-456-6679
- Toxicology Clinic at Lehigh Valley Health Network in Allentown: 1-484-884-1557
- Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania: 1-215-662-2367
- University of Pittsburgh Toxicology Outpatient Clinic
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Toxicology Outpatient Clinic (Washington, D.C.): 1-202-444-3059
The American College of Medical Toxicology provides an online nationwide “Find a Toxicologist” directory.
The Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics provides an online nationwide Occupational and Environmental Health Clinic directory.
For pediatric patients
- The federal Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) has created regional Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSU) to offer such expertise. Primary care physicians with questions related to environmental exposures are encouraged to consult with a PEHSU.
- Mid-Atlantic Center for Children’s Health and the Environment, Washington, D.C. (for residents of Pennsylvania and Delaware): 1-866-622-2431
- Mount Sinai Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit, New York, NY (for residents of New Jersey): 1-866-265-6201
Other potential pediatric clinical resources
Primary care doctors and nurse practitioners, using the support of their Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit, can adequately address most concerns.
Doctors feeling that they need the support of a bedside evaluation might contact the outpatient toxicology clinics listed for adult patients.
The following Diagnostic Referral Services provide comprehensive pediatric evaluation and may help to coordinate warranted specialist evaluations:
- The Diagnostic Referral Service of the A.I. DuPont Hospital: 1-302-651-4200
- The Diagnostic Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia: 1-215-590-4020
Disclaimer: The listing of any agency, clinical site, or healthcare provider is for informational purposes only, and does not necessarily represent any endorsement or assurances by The Poison Control Center, the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, or their staff. Any health care agencies or providers wishing to comment on, or suggest changes to, this information are encouraged to contact The Poison Control Center at email@example.com. Families are encouraged to identify a trusted primary care healthcare provider, involve them in their care, and get their help in seeking appropriate specialty care.
Updated: March 1, 2019