The Thrombosis Program, part of CHOP’s Hemostasis and Thrombosis Center, is one of the nation’s premier programs for safe and effective management of anticoagulation (use of blood thinners), thromboprophylaxis (prevention of blood clots), and general hematologic care to children and adolescents.
Led by Leslie Raffini, MD, MSCE, the Thrombosis Program team is dedicated to providing accurate diagnosis, appropriate testing and imaging studies, as well as expert treatment to prevent and treat blood clots in children and adolescents. The program includes a strong emphasis on patient safety and monitoring.
The Thrombosis Program offers:
- Comprehensive patient and family education
- Patient and family support
- Physical therapy
- Assistance with access to care issues
- Identification of barriers to care and help developing strategies to overcome such barriers
- Support and advocacy for patients through communication with schools, employers and insurance companies
In addition to its patient and family–focused care, the program also provides physician and provider education, clinical research and program development. The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia also offers anticoagulation medication guidelines for management of pediatric blood clots/thromboembolic disorders.