What is Mama Care?
Mama Care combines prenatal care, education and social support into one group program for mothers delivering in the Garbose Family Special Delivery Unit (SDU) at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).
Each Mama Care group consists of four two- hour long sessions facilitated by SDU midwives and nurses. During each session you will have a private prenatal visit with a midwife as well as time for interactive discussion with other pregnant SDU patients.
Any additional services required such as ultrasounds, echocardiograms, or consults can be coordinated to occur around the group. A partner or support person is welcome to join you during the sessions. Snacks are provided.
With Mama Care, you will:
- Enjoy unhurried time with your provider
- Learn more about your care on the SDU
- Form a supportive community with other SDU families
- Share your experiences in a relaxed and fun setting
Topics covered include:
- Pregnancy discomforts and nutrition
- Relationships, mental health, and stress reduction
- Labor and birth on the SDU
- Breastfeeding and pumping
- Postpartum recovery
- Preparing for the Newborn/Infant Intensive Care Unit (N/IICU) or Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU)
- Transitioning to parenthood
For more information, please talk to your CHOP healthcare team or call 800-468-8376.