Congenital Heart Disease Neurodevelopmental Outcomes Publications
The following list of publications will help you in your search for more information about the effect of congenital heart disease and other congenital anomalies on neurodevelopmental outcomes. Many are written by members of the Cardiac Center team at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. If you are unable to obtain any of these publications, please let us know and we will send copies to you.
- Gaynor JW, Ittenbach RF, Gerdes M, et al. Neurodevelopmental outcomes in preschool survivors of the Fontan procedure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Apr 2014;147(4):1276-1282; discussion 1282-1283 e1275.
- Beca J, Gunn JK, Coleman L, et al. New white matter brain injury after infant heart surgery is associated with diagnostic group and the use of circulatory arrest. Circulation. Mar 5 2013;127(9):971-979.
- Kim DS, Stanaway IB, Rajagopalan R, et al. Results of genome-wide analyses on neurodevelopmental phenotypes at four-year follow-up following cardiac surgery in infancy. PLoS One. 2012;7(9):e45936.
- Quartermain MD, Ittenbach RF, Flynn TB, et al. Neuropsychological status in children after repair of acyanotic congenital heart disease. Pediatrics. Aug 2010;126(2):e351-359.
- Burnham N, Ittenbach RF, Stallings VA, et al. Genetic Factors are Important Determinants of Impaired Growth Following Infant Cardiac Surgery. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Apr 2010;140(1):144–149.
- Andropoulos DB, Hunter JV, Nelson DP, et al. Brain immaturity is associated with brain injury before and after neonatal cardiac surgery with high-flow bypass and cerebral oxygenation monitoring. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Mar 2010;139(3):543-556.
- Gaynor JW. Is cardiac diagnosis a predictor of neurodevelopmental outcome after cardiac surgery in infancy? JTCVS. 2010;140:1230-1237.
- Ades AM, Dominguez TE, Nicolson SC, et al. Morbidity and mortality after surgery for congenital cardiac disease in the infant born with low weight. Cardiol Young. Dec 18 2009:1-10.
- Gaynor JW, Nord AS, Wernovsky G, et al. Apolipoprotein E genotype modifies the risk of behavior problems after infant cardiac surgery. Pediatrics. Jul 2009;124(1):241-250.
- Licht DJ, Shera DM, Clancy RR, et al. Brain maturation is delayed in infants with complex congenital heart defects. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Mar 2009;137(3):529-536; discussion 536-527.
- Shillingford AJ, Glanzman MM, Ittenbach RF, Clancy RR, Gaynor JW, Wernovsky G. Inattention, hyperactivity, and school performance in a population of school-age children with complex congenital heart disease. Pediatrics. Apr 2008;121(4):e759-767.
- Tabbutt S, Nord AS, Jarvik GP, et al. Neurodevelopmental outcomes after staged palliation for hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Pediatrics. Mar 2008;121(3):476-483.
- Gaynor JW, Wernovsky G, Jarvik GP, et al. Patient characteristics are important determinants of neurodevelopmental outcome at one year of age after neonatal and infant cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007;133(5):1344-1353.
- Shillingford A, Ittenbach R, Marino BS, et al. Aortic morphometry and microcephaly in hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Cardiol Young. 2007. Apr;17(2):189-95. Epub 2007 Mar 5.
- Schultz AH, Jarvik GP, Wernovsky G, et al. Effect of congenital heart disease on neurodevelopmental outcomes within multiple-gestation births. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Dec 2005;130(6):1511-1516.
- Licht DJ, Wang J, Silvestre DW, Nicolson SC, Montenegro LM, Wernovsky G, Tabbutt S, Durning SM, Shera DM, Gaynor JW, Spray TL, Clancy RR, Zimmerman RA, Detre JA. Preoperative cerebral blood flow is diminished in neonates with severe congenital heart defects. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004 Dec;128(6):841-9.
- Galli KK, Zimmerman RA, Jarvik GP, et al. Periventricular leukomalacia is common after neonatal cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Mar 2004;127(3):692-704.
- Gaynor JW, Gerdes M, Zackai EH, et al. Apolipoprotein E genotype and neurodevelopmental sequelae of infant cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Dec 2003;126(6):1736-1745.
- Mahle WT, Tavani F, Zimmerman RA, et al. An MRI study of neurological injury before and after congenital heart surgery. Circulation. Sep 24 2002;106(12 Suppl 1):I109-114.
- Clancy RR, McGaurn SA, Goin JE, et al. Allopurinol neurocardiac protection trial in infants undergoing heart surgery using deep hypothermic circulatory arrest. Pediatrics. Jul 2001;108(1):61-70.
- Fullerton SM, Clark AG, Weiss KM, et al. Apolipoprotein E variation at the sequence haplotype level: implications for the origin and maintenance of a major human polymorphism. Am J Hum Genet. 2000;67(4):881-900.
- Glauser TA, Rorke LB, Weinberg PM, Clancy RR. Acquired neuropathologic lesions associated with the hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Pediatrics. Jun 1990;85(6):991-1000.
- Glauser TA, Rorke LB, Weinberg PM, Clancy RR. Congenital brain anomalies associated with the hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Pediatrics. 1990;85(6):984-990.