Creative Arts Therapy Practicum
Practicum experience is intended to introduce the student to the field of creative arts therapy (art or music therapy), as well as the variety of experiences facing children and adolescents in the healthcare setting. This type of training is highly recommended for those students who are enrolled in undergraduate studies in art or music therapy.
A board-certified art or music therapist will supervise the student as he/she participates in observing and processing creative art therapy sessions.
Application is not a guarantee of acceptance. A limited number of students will be accepted each session as space allows.
Practicum students are required to:
- Have completed a core curriculum and have demonstrated successful experiences with children.
- For art therapy practicum candidates, the core curriculum must include a minimum of 4 university courses in studio arts and a minimum of 4 university courses in psychology, including developmental psychology and abnormal psychology.
- For music therapy practicum candidates, students must be enrolled in a music therapy degree program.
- Complete established number of weekly scheduled hours (typically 8 to 12 hours per week) for a period of approximately 14 weeks.
These requirements must be met by the application postmark deadline for the candidate to be considered. Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia does not accept “in progress” for the requirements, including academic course requirements and hours working with children/teens in traditional and healthcare environments.
The start/end dates are established with limited flexibility:
- Spring 2021 session: Begins May 10, 2021. Application postmark deadline: Jan. 1, 2021
- Fall 2021 session: Art Therapy and Music Therapy Begins August 23, 2021. *Please note that Dance/Movement Therapy will not be available until Spring 2022 Application postmark deadline: April 1, 2021
- Spring 2022 session: Start Date TBD. Application postmark deadline: September 1, 2021
All application materials must be postmarked by the stated application deadline to be considered a candidate for the session. Hand-delivered applications will not be accepted.
Please email the Student Programs Coordinator with any questions regarding the start and end dates.
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia does not provide housing for students. However, rooms and apartments are available for rent from Sansom Place Guest Accommodations through The University of Pennsylvania, located adjacent to The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Students who are accepted to the student program who contact Sansom Place Guest Accommodations for housing must notify the staff at Sansom Place that they are CHOP-Child Life Programs and Volunteer Services students.
For more information about the practicum experience, download the practicum application please note that the address on the application itself is no longer in use. Please send your application to:
Attention: Creative Arts Therapy Student Program
Wood Building 6th Floor, Child Life Suite
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
3401 Civic Center Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
The number of students accepted will vary from semester to semester due to the number of applicants and supervisor availability.
For more information about professional education in the Child Life Programs and Volunteer Services, please call 267-426-1340 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.