Combined Kidney/Liver Program
The Combined Kidney/Liver Program at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) serves patients with a variety of genetic disorders that affect both liver and kidney development. Our goal is to provide the finest diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care to children and families affected by these rare genetic conditions.
Conditions we treat
We see patients with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease (ARPKD), nephronophthisis, Joubert syndrome, Bardet-Biedl syndrome, oro-facial-digital syndrome or any other disorder that causes chronic kidney disease and liver disease. For new referrals, current patients at CHOP and patients interested in second opinions, we now have the Combined Kidney/Liver clinic located on the first floor of the Main Building on CHOP’s University City campus.
When your child should come to see us
- Your child has been diagnosed with ARPKD or any of the other conditions we treat and you either want the diagnosis confirmed or to have CHOP physicians provide your child’s specialty care.
- You believe your child may have one of the conditions we treat.
- You or your primary physician is looking for help in managing your child's care. This can be the case if your child has progressive kidney disease; problems of portal hypertension such as GI bleeding, enlarged spleen or low platelet count; frequent infection of the biliary tract (cholangitis); or vitamin deficiencies.
- Your primary physician believes that a kidney or liver transplant is needed.
- Your child has had chronic kidney disease with signs of chronic liver disease without a clear diagnosis.
What we offer
- Specialized care: In addition to a core team of nephrologists and hepatologists, our program includes supportive services such as nutrition, social work, psychology, transplant, transition to adult care programs and more.
- A comprehensive treatment plan: By establishing a combined liver/kidney program, we offer expertise in complete clinical care of a rare disease as well as the convenience of seeing multiple specialists in a single clinic session.
- Access to clinical expertise: Evaluation by our expert specialty care team can make a significant impact in the lives of children and families affected by these conditions. CHOP also has great expertise in kidney and liver transplantation as well as access to other subspecialists who are leaders in their fields.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is a recognized leader in the fields of pediatric hepatology and nephrology. Our Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition is ranked No. 1 in the nation on U.S. News & World Report’s 2019-20 Honor Roll of Best Children's Hospitals. Our Division of Nephrology is consistently ranked in the top 10 in the nation.