At Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, language and communication assistance is provided at no cost to patients and their families/representatives. The following services are available for those who are limited English proficient or deaf or hard of hearing:
- In-person language interpretation with professional medical interpreters
- In-person sign language interpretation and telecommunication devices for the deaf (TDD/TTY)
- Access to telephone interpretation for multiple languages and the hearing impaired from any CHOP phone
- Video remote interpreting in select locations
- Telephone relay services or other assistive technology
Your child's nurse can help you gain access to these services.
Also available, at every entrance to the Main Hospital Campus, are language navigation cards. Available in a variety of languages, simply choose the card written in your language of choice and hand it to any CHOP employee. That employee will then help you gain access to interpreter services.
Telecommunication devices for the deaf
TDDs are available at pay phone areas throughout the Main Campus. You can also arrange to have a TDD machine at your child's bedside. Please see your child's nurse for more information.
TTY and VCO (voice carry over) telephones are available at the Auto Dealers CARing for Kids Foundation Welcome Center on the second floor of the Wood Building and in the Little Rock Resource Room, located on the first floor of the Children's Seashore House.