Your Child's Neurology Appointment
Consultations and second opinions
When scheduling a second opinion or transfer of care to the Division of Neurology at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, please forward the following information to us:
- Request all previous neurology office visits notes, relevant tests, and lab results from current and past providers.
- All documents can be sent to us by fax or email:
- Fax: 215-590-1771, Attention: Second Opinion
- Email: email@example.com
Some US residents may be eligible for an online second opinion consultation, which is only allowed in certain states.
Prior to your visit
At scheduling, you will be given instructions to sign up for MyCHOP, an online tool that allows you to securely access your child’s medical records from your smart phone, computer or tablet. Signing up for MyCHOP will give you access to complete our New Patient Questionnaire before your appointment. This will help make your visit go as smoothly as possible. You need to activate your MyCHOP account within the week so that you do not lose access. Your access will be expanded once you come in for your appointment.
Directions, parking and arrival
If you need directions to one of our Children's Hospital locations, please visit our Visitor Resources section to find maps, parking information and more.
If your appointment is at the Buerger Center, the Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care is on Civic Center Boulevard just south of the Main Hospital. To access parking, turn left from Civic Center Boulevard into Driveway B and follow signs to Garage B. A security officer will be at the parking garage entrance if you have any questions. After registering at the first floor Welcome Center, take the Buerger elevators to the 10th floor. Find the most up-to-date information about parking and discounted rates for parents and guardians.
When you arrive for your first visit, you will register your child with the front desk. Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment at the Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care and 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment at any of our convenient suburban locations.
If you arrive late, you risk being seen later or having your appointment rescheduled. Please call us at 215-590-1719 if you are running late.
We will validate your Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care parking ticket at check-in, which will provide you with a reduced parking fee for your visit.
If you need to cancel your appointment, please give us 72 hours’ notice. Another family may be grateful for your appointment time. Please call 215-590-1719 to cancel.
What to bring
A parent or legal guardian must be present for the first consultation. We encourage you to bring toys, books and/or snacks to keep your child or children occupied and content while waiting. Please make sure you bring the following to your first appointment:
- Referral paperwork. This must be in place at the time of the visit or your visit may be delayed or rescheduled.
- Any authorization your insurance company may require. You should call your insurance company to get this information.
- Copay or coinsurance for the visit. If you have any questions, please call 1-800-664-7855.
- The name and phone number of your pharmacy.
- Copies of documentation for labs, radiology and procedure tests — even if the results are normal.
- All of the medications your child currently takes — including over-the-counter medications — in a bag. If you’d prefer to write a list of medications, we will need the medicine name, dosage, frequency, prescribing doctor, pharmacy name and phone number, as well as how long your child has been using this medication. Most families find it easier to toss everything in a bag and bring it along.
During your appointment
Your first visit
New patient appointments typically last approximately 40 – 60 minutes, but may last longer depending on the program you are visiting. Your neurologist will ask questions, examine your child, check vitals and reflexes, watch your child walk, etc., depending on your child’s symptoms. Your neurologist may suggest that you come back for a follow-up visit in 3 to 6 months, and may recommend diagnostic tests (such as EEG, MRI, electromyography (EMG), ultrasound or sleep studies). After your visit, your neurologist will send clinic notes to your child’s primary care doctor. These and any imaging and testing results will be available to you through your MyCHOP patient portal.
For returning patients
Follow-up appointments can be made through your MyCHOP patient portal or by calling the Division of Neurology at 215-590-1719. Before or during your appointment, you may be asked to complete a follow-up questionnaire to ensure your child’s information is up to date. You and your provider can then discuss your child’s progress, any test results, reactions to medications, etc. All notes will be included in your MyCHOP portal.
For telehealth appointments
The Division of Neurology is excited to offer MyCHOP video visits with your neurology team when appropriate. Established CHOP patients have access to all telehealth options being offered by their provider, which may differ across each department.
For new patients who haven’t been seen before, there are some limitations.