Our success in helping children and families experiencing homelessness depends on the generosity of individuals who contribute financial support, volunteer their time and contribute needed items. Please see below for information on ways you can help the Homeless Health Initiative and the families we serve.
Volunteer your time at a shelter
HHI volunteers provide a variety of services to children and families in the shelters we serve, including medical service and more. To learn details about who can volunteer and what medical, educational or other activities you can provide, contact Melissa Johnson at email@example.com.
How volunteers can help
As a part of the HHI volunteer team, you will provide one or more of the following services to the children and families in shelters:
- Medical, nursing or dental care in the shelters
- Educational workshops for parents in shelters
- Educational workshops for staff in shelters
- Hearing or vision screenings
- Interactive mother-child development focused activities
- Literacy activities
You are expected to attend the visits that you have signed up for, unless you notify us that you cannot attend. Please be sure to sign in at every visit and fill out relevant forms to ensure that service is given efficiently to children.
Organize a donations drive or fundraiser
For those who wish to raise awareness of HHI and help families, consider organizing a donation drive or fundraiser that would benefit families and/or staff at local homeless shelters.
Contact the shelters directly to find out what donations are being accepted and to make arrangements with them for delivery.
- Episcopal Community Services/St. Barnabas Mission
- People's Emergency Center
- Lutheran Settlement House/Jane Addams Place
- Salvation Army/Red Shield Family Residence
- Red Cross House
- Women Against Abuse
- Bucks County Emergency Homeless Center
- Families Forward Philadelphia (formerly Travelers Aid Family Services of Philadelphia)
Volunteer at a suburban shelter
Volunteer with a suburban shelter. Please let us know if you are interested in offering an educational workshop in your field of expertise (i.e., new baby care) or hosting a drive for a shelter in Bucks, Chester, Delaware or Montgomery counties. Please e-mail us.