Homeless Health Initiative: How You Can Help
Our success in helping children and families experiencing homelessness depends on the generosity of individuals who contribute financial support, volunteer their time and contribute needed items. Please see below for information on ways you can help the Homeless Health Initiative and the families we serve.
Donate to HHI
Philanthropic donations of all sizes power the coordinated, family-focused care provided to mothers and children by the Homeless Health Initiative. By donating to CHOP, you will help ensure that women and children living in local emergency housing shelters receive free medical and dental care, health education, and social skills training. You’ll also become our partner as we help these families begin their new lives. Donate now.
Volunteer your time at a shelter
HHI volunteers provide a variety of services to children and families in the shelters we serve.
Certain medical service volunteer opportunities are restricted to CHOP employees or other medical professionals. These include:
- CHOP Night: Medical, nursing or dental care in the shelters
- Health Education Workshops: Educational workshops for parents in shelters
We have plenty of other volunteer opportunities available. Explore some of our ongoing programming in need of community volunteers:
- Health Education Workshops
- Art Programs
- Operation CHOICES
- Special Events
Organize a donations drive or fundraiser
You can organize a donation drive or fundraiser that would benefit families at local homeless shelters.
If you’d like to donate to a particular shelter, contact the shelters directly to find out what donations are being accepted and to make arrangements with them for delivery.
- Episcopal Community Services/St. Barnabas Mission
- People's Emergency Center
- Lutheran Settlement House/Jane Addams Place
- Salvation Army/Red Shield Family Residence
- Red Cross House: 215-405-8800
- Women Against Abuse
- Families Forward Philadelphia
Host an art supply donation drive
HHI is always in need of supplies for its children and adult art programs:
- Canvases (large sizes preferred)
- Paint brushes of all sizes
- Acrylic paints
- Wooden crafts (to be painted)
- Jewelry making items (wires, beads, etc.)
- Knitting needles
- Sketch pads
- Gift cards to AC Moore or Michaels
If you’re interested in organizing a donation drive to collect art supplies, please contact Melissa Bennett at BennettME@email.chop.edu.
Volunteer at a suburban shelter
Please email us to let us know if you are interested in offering an educational workshop in your field of expertise (i.e., new baby care) or hosting a drive for a shelter in Bucks, Chester, Delaware or Montgomery counties.