Published on in Spina Bifida Family Connection
Meet Amanda Fonash, MSW, LSW. She’s been a social worker in CHOP’s Spina Bifida program for 11 years. Amanda partners with families to help access community resources and provide psychosocial counseling to care for children with special needs.
Accessing resources for a child with special needs can be a challenging process. One of Amanda’s roles is to simplify this process by providing education about state benefits including Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income, housing and food resources. She can also provide information on recreational opportunities, funding for equipment and home modifications, support with educational/early intervention needs, and referrals to advocacy organizations and mental health providers.
Amanda is available to families outside of clinic as well. If you have a question, don’t hesitate to call her!
Below is one of Amanda’s favorite resource lists: local accessible playgrounds! Be sure to check that they’re open and stay up-to-date on local guidelines as communities slowly reopen from the COVID-19 pandemic. And don’t forget to practice physical distancing and wash your hands frequently.
- Kids Castle - 425 Wells Rd., Doylestown, PA 18901
- CADES Playground - 401 Rutgers Ave., Swarthmore, PA 19081
- Freedom Playground - 3500 Darby Rd., Haverford, PA 19041
- Smith Playground - 3500 Reservoir Dr., Fairmount Park, Philadelphia PA 19131
- Aston Community Center Playground - 3270 Concord Rd., Aston, PA 19014
- Skies the Limit Playground - Park Lane, Downingtown, PA 19335
- Everybody’s Playground at Luken’s Park - 540 Dresher Rd., Horsham PA 19044
- Jake's Place Boundless Playground - 101 Bortons Mill Rd., Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
- Bob Myer Memorial Park - 2 Commonwealth Dr., Medford, NJ 08055
- Challenger Playground at Dorbrook Recreational Area - 209 County Route 537 East, Colts Neck, NJ 07722
- Imagination Kingdom Playground - 23 4 Mile Rd., Pemberton, NJ 08068
- Tony’s Place Playground - Ocean Ave., Long Branch, NJ 07740