Published on in Health Tip of the Week
Before using, please refer to our Recipes Disclaimer.
National Kidney Day is Thursday, March 14. Eating the right foods and snacks can support kidney health. Elizabeth Coover, a dietitian with the Healthy Weight Program, and Elisha Pavlick, a dietitian with the Division of Nephrology, offer recipes for two delicious kidney-friendly snacks.
Smart and Sweet Popcorn
What you’ll need:
- 12 cups low-fat, low-sodium microwave popcorn, or 12 cups air-popped popcorn
- Butter-flavored cooking spray a
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Place popcorn in a large mixing bowl or large resealable plastic bag.
- Lightly spray the popcorn with cooking spray.
- Combine cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle spices over popcorn and toss to coat evenly.
- Mix Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. Sprinkle mixture over popcorn and toss.
- Spread popcorn evenly in large baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
A serving of popcorn is 3 cups and contains 95 mg of sodium, 105 mg of phosphorus, and 159 mg of potassium.
Very Veggie Dip
What you’ll need:
- 1 8-ounce package light cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, garlic powder and parmesan.
- Add chives, peppers and Worcestershire sauce. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator.
- Serve with carrots, celery or any of your favorite vegetables.
A serving of veggie dip is 2 tablespoons and contains 260 mg of sodium, 49 mg of phosphorus, and 91 mg of potassium.
Subscribe to Health Tip of the Week e-newsletter
For more advice that will help you keep your child healthy, happy and safe, subscribe to our Health Tip of the Week e-newsletter.
Contributed by: Elizabeth Coover, MPH, RD, CSP, LDN, Elisha Pavlick, RD, CSP, LDN
Categories: Health Tip of the Week