Ask the VEC: International Adoption and Japanese Encephalitis (JE) Vaccine

Published on

Parents PACK

Q. My 2-year-old child recently moved to the U.S. from China where she had one dose of the Japanese Encephalitis (JE) vaccine as recommended, does she need the second dose now that she is here?

A. In the U.S., the Japanese Encephalitis (JE) vaccine is only recommended for people who are likely to be exposed to JE during travel. If your daughter will be making a trip back to China or to somewhere else that would increase her risk, then she would need to get the second dose. However, you should consult a travel clinic as the determination of need is based on trip-specific information, such as exactly where she is going, how long she will be there and what she will be doing.

You can find more detailed information on the CDC’s website:

Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine for U.S. Children »

Infectious diseases related to travel: Infectious encephalitis »

Materials in this section are updated as new information and vaccines become available. The Vaccine Education Center staff regularly reviews materials for accuracy.

You should not consider the information in this site to be specific, professional medical advice for your personal health or for your family's personal health. You should not use it to replace any relationship with a physician or other qualified healthcare professional. For medical concerns, including decisions about vaccinations, medications and other treatments, you should always consult your physician or, in serious cases, seek immediate assistance from emergency personnel.