The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) Transition Team includes pediatric gastroenterologists, psychologists, social workers, and other healthcare providers. Together, we work to ensure a smooth transition from pediatric care to adult care.
Your clinical team will work closely with you and your family to prepare you for the eventual transition of care years in advance. Our goal is to empower each young adult patient to take increasing responsibility for his or her healthcare in a supportive environment. We will provide the tools and resources necessary to navigate the transfer of care process successfully.
CHOP GI Transition Resources
The Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (GI) is committed to helping our patients make a smooth transition from pediatric to adult health care. This process requires collaboration between patients, their parents, and the healthcare team, starting in young adolescence with a goal of transfer of care by age 22.
We have identified several key areas for our patients to focus on when preparing for a successful transition:
- Early discussion of transition during office visits with your medical team.
- Taking an active role in medical decision making with your family and medical team and becoming an expert in your own medical history.
- Consideration of how being a young adult with a chronic illness can affect other areas of your life, including: applying for college, finding employment, use of alcohol and drugs, and sexuality.
- Familiarizing yourself with your health insurance and prescription medications and how to navigate these systems.
- Deciding with your medical team and family as to which adult specialist will be the best fit for your particular condition and geographic location.
Our division’s stepwise transition guidelines provide a more detailed framework for this process. View our guidelines.
The GI Transition Team has developed an interactive web-based informational session which is hosted twice a year. During the webinar, patients and their families can learn about our philosophy of transitioning patients to adult care, as a gradual, comprehensive process that takes place over several years. The webinar encourages patient and family participation throughout the session by asking polling questions about various transition topics. Participants have the ability to ask questions anonymously throughout the session and get feedback from our team in real time.
Please contact us to find out how to sign up for the next session, or watch an archived webinar.
Watch videos and review other resources for information on transition, health insurance, growing up, college and employment, and advice from young adults.