- Concerning Features
- Focality or Todd’s paralysis lasting > 15 min
- ≥ 4 seizures in 24 hours
- Duration > 15 minutes
- Duration > 5 min +
- Failure to return to baseline mental status
- Significant developmental delay
Assess for meningitis/intracranial/head or neck infection
- Care is guided by History and Physical Examination to identify fever source and concerning features.
- Routine lab tests are not recommended for simple febrile seizures or complex febrile seizures without concerning features.
- Laboratory testing should focus on age appropriate fever evaluation guided by H&P.
- AAP Guidelines for Febrile Seizures
Posted: June 2016
Reviewed: October 2018
Authors: J. Hart, MD; M. Blackstone, MD; K. Dorland, RN; D. Bearden, MD; M. Sergonis, MD; V. Scheid, MD;
T. Kaur, MD; S. Haas, MD; and L. Adang, MD