Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is committed to helping children live healthy, productive lives. All throughout our local communities, we provide sustainable, meaningful programs that improve the lives of children well beyond the walls of our facilities. Our efforts have been recognized by the Association of American Medical Colleges, which awarded CHOP the Spencer Foreman Award for Outstanding Community Service.
The following video showcases some of these programs and highlights how we’re responding to our neighbors’ needs.
A commitment to our community
Our community relations team provides a community perspective to Hospital projects, programs and policies, and represents the Hospital at community meetings, events and other functions.
As part of these efforts, we oversee a number of functions that foster CHOP’s strong commitment to community benefit.
- Healthier Together: Launched in 2019 with the help from our partners, Healthier Together is making great strides toward helping children and families in West and Southwest Philadelphia live their healthiest lives.
- Annual Community Benefit Report: Learn about the projects we’re implementing in our communities and how our programs are helping kids throughout the nation and around the world. Download our recent Community Benefit Reports.
- Community Health Needs Assessment: Download CHOP's Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) report and implementation plan to find out more about the health needs in our community and CHOP’s strategies to address these needs.
- CHOP Cares Community Fund and Grants Program: CHOP provides small grants to our employees to support their work in the community, helping to fill needs identified in the CHNA. Learn more about the CHOP Cares Community Fund.
- CHOP Community Advisory Board: Consisting of both CHOP employees and civic leaders, the Community Advisory Board works to promote the health and well-being of children and families in the communities we serve by supporting — through the CHOP Cares Community Fund — the philanthropic and volunteer efforts of CHOP employees.
- Participation in Community Health Fairs: If you are holding a health fair in your community and would like to invite CHOP representatives to attend, present, or have a table at your event, please submit your request using this form.
- CHOP Expansion Projects: The Hospital is undergoing an extensive expansion that includes the construction of new facilities that will allow us to provide care to children in many communities throughout our region.
Our team works to grow and develop existing initiatives, while also helping to develop new programs that meet the unique needs of children in our communities. We continuously seek out opportunities to promote the Hospital’s mission and support communities served by the CHOP Care Network.
Our programs seeks to have a positive impact on a wide range of health and well-being issues such as obesity, asthma, food insecurity, violence, homelessness, child literacy, teen pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, specific disease education and advocacy, and child safety.
Here are just a few examples of the initiatives and programs currently operating in our communities:
- Adolescent Initiative
- Center for Autism Research
- Center for Injury Prevention and Research
- Center for Management of ADHD
- Children's Intensive Emotional and Behavioral Services
- CHOP Research Institute Summer Scholars Program (CRISSP)
- Community Asthma Prevention Program
- Community Pediatrics and Advocacy Program
- Minds Matter Concussion Program
- Diabetes Center
- Early Head Start
- Family Health Coverage Program
- Gender and Sexuality Development Clinic
- Global Health Center
- Healthy Weight Program
- Homeless Health Initiative
- Hospital School Program
- iKnowUShould2 Campaign
- Kohl’s Injury Prevention Program
- Poison Control Center
- Reach Out and Read
- Refugee Health Program
- Safe Place
- Vaccine Education Center
- Violence Prevention Initiative
- Youth Heart Watch