About the Division of Pediatric General, Thoracic and Fetal Surgery
We understand that "your child needs surgery" are some of the most frightening words any parent ever hears. The Division of Pediatric General, Thoracic and Fetal Surgery at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia provides expert surgical care for children with a variety of conditions.
Our world-class pediatric surgeons perform a wide variety of surgical procedures, including:
- Abdominal and thoracic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Fetal surgery
- Oncologic surgery
- Thyroid surgery (in collaboration with the Pediatric Thyroid Center)
- Trauma surgery
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO): a heart-lung bypass technique that provides long-term respiratory and cardiac support
Our surgeons work closely with divisions, programs and services throughout the Hospital — including Anesthesiology, the Cardiac Center, Critical Care, Gastroenterology, Neonatology, Nursing, Oncology, Emergency Medicine, and various surgical and medical subspecialties — to provide integrated care for your child.
We also provide ongoing support and coordinated care to patients and families following surgery for complex diseases, with the following multidisciplinary programs:
- Pediatric Colorectal Program: A comprehensive treatment program for children with bowel management needs related to anorectal malformations or imperforate anus, Hirschsprung's disease, and myelomeningocele (spina bifida).
- Pulmonary Hypoplasia Program: Evaluates and treats children who have pulmonary hypoplasia, a condition which limits full lung development.
- Surgical Reflux Clinic: Manages patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Scheduling your child’s surgery
Depending on the type of surgery your child needs, he or she may be able to have the procedure done at one of our Specialty Care & Surgery Centers. Ambulatory surgical services for outpatient procedures are available at several locations throughout the community. You can also visit these locations for outpatient surgical consultations, diagnostic testing, day surgery and follow-up visits.
The centers allow families access to the services of renowned Children's Hospital surgeons without a trip to the city. Staff at these ambulatory sites are all CHOP employees, and each Center provides outpatient general and specialty surgical services to children of all ages.
Regardless of the location at which your child will be treated, you can schedule your child's first appointment by calling 215-590-2730. We'll attempt to schedule all the appointments your child needs during that visit so you won't have to make several visits before surgery.
For New Jersey residents seeking to schedule your child's first appointment with our surgeons who practice in New Jersey, we have two additional local phone numbers available for your convenience: 856-964-8219 or 609-777-9590.